[protege-owl] Object vs. Datatype Properties

[protege-owl] Object vs. Datatype Properties

John Feeney
I've been plugging away at an ontology that includes as part of it an
organization chart.  The are a bunch of other things what will utilized
the information in the org chart for making decision in Jess.

For a simple org chart I have a class of Business with a subclass of
Division that has a subclass Section. Business is a subclass of owl:Thing

For these classes I set up both Object and Datatype Properties:

The Object Properties are hasDivision and isPartOfBusiness, hasSection
and is PartOfDivision.  Essentially a parent child relationship. This
looks like these are getting inherited in the Properties View.

I also setup Datatype Properties for each class for their names
businessName, divisionName, sectionName thinking that they would be
inherited based on the class structure. It looks like these Datatype
Properties are inherited when I look at the properties view of the classes.

But when I go create an instance of Business and give it a businessName
- why doesn't the value of the Superclasses Datatype Properties get put
into the instance of a Division - and like wise why doesn't both
businessName and sectionName come into the instance of a Section when I
link them with the above Object Properties?

John Feeney, Ph.D.
Cognitive Scientist
Aptima, Inc.
1726 M Street NW, Suite 900
Washington, DC 20036
202-842-1548 x339 (voice)
202-842-2630 (fax)
Web: http://www.aptima.com

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

Re: [protege-owl] Object vs. Datatype Properties

Papapanagiwtou Petros
I think you have confused the role of a subclass relationship with that
of an Object Property.
The Division would inherit the businessName property from the
superclass, NOT the Business instance with which it is connected with
isPartOfBusiness.

You can't expect a datatype property to be inherited by a Business
instance that is connected through an object property. It is still
possible to infer the business name of a division but it is not
automatically inherited.
Properties are inherited by subclassing. That means that, according to
your specifications, when you create a Divison instance you must also
define a businessName for it (as a property inherited by the superclass
Business).
Again, the inherited (abstract) properties of the superclass have
nothing to do with the values of the properties of the instance of
Business which is connected through the object property to the instance
of the Division.

To be honest I don't think defining the Division as a subclass of
Business is correct. Doing that means the Division is a Business with
certain properties (like a Man is a Person with certain properties).

I hope I've somehow helped to make this clear.

Papapanagiotou Petros

John Feeney wrote:

> I've been plugging away at an ontology that includes as part of it an
> organization chart.  The are a bunch of other things what will utilized
> the information in the org chart for making decision in Jess.
>
> For a simple org chart I have a class of Business with a subclass of
> Division that has a subclass Section. Business is a subclass of owl:Thing
>
> For these classes I set up both Object and Datatype Properties:
>
> The Object Properties are hasDivision and isPartOfBusiness, hasSection
> and is PartOfDivision.  Essentially a parent child relationship. This
> looks like these are getting inherited in the Properties View.
>
> I also setup Datatype Properties for each class for their names
> businessName, divisionName, sectionName thinking that they would be
> inherited based on the class structure. It looks like these Datatype
> Properties are inherited when I look at the properties view of the classes.
>
> But when I go create an instance of Business and give it a businessName
> - why doesn't the value of the Superclasses Datatype Properties get put
> into the instance of a Division - and like wise why doesn't both
> businessName and sectionName come into the instance of a Section when I
> link them with the above Object Properties?

Re: [protege-owl] Object vs. Datatype Properties

John Feeney
Thank for your response.

Your explanation matches what I am seeing. So if I understood this, then
the property ( slot? ) businessName is in the subclass Division, because
of the subclass inheritance but that's it. No values get propagated once
I make a connection of instances. That makes sense now.

I am working through a number of ways to describe the organization with
an ontology. I agree the subclass structure might not be a good
representation but that's what I was given to start with. I think I can
make separate classes and connect them with Object Properties when
creating instances. I would then use the inferences to get to the
Datatype Properties - is this correct?

If you have any good resources for how I would do the inference via the
Object Properties, I would greatly appreciate it.

John Feeney