[protege-owl] Problem Using SWRLtab and "OWL+SWRL -> Jess" Button ...

[protege-owl] Problem Using SWRLtab and "OWL+SWRL -> Jess" Button ...

mcharest
Hi all,

* When attempting to export my "OWL concepts and SWRL rules" to "Jess facts
and rules"
using the "OWL+SWRL -> Jess" Button (in the lower Jess Rule Engine Panel), I
get the
following exception:
"Exception importing SWRL rules and OWL knowledge:
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.swrl.bridge.exceptions.SWRLRuleEngineBridgeExc
eption:
Unknown argument #1 to individual property atom @_:A41. Expecting variable
or individual."

Here is the simple SWRL Rule I am attempting to Export:
noExamples(pc, ?x1) ^ swrlb:greaterThan(?x1, 10000) ^
transactionData(pc, ?x2) ^ swrlb:equal(?x2, 1)
->  advice(ac, aggregation)

Both the "pc" and "ac" individuals are defined with properties
(noExamples and transactionData) and respective ranges (11000, 1).
Both properties are  "Data Type" properties and both of their
ranges are "int" type.

Questions:
----------

a) It is possible to pin-point which part of the SWRL rule is causing the
problem (i.e. argument #1 to individual property atom @_:A41) ?

b) Any ideas why the SWRL rule or OWL knowledge might be creating this
problem would be most appreciated ?

Regards,
Michel
Mathématiques et Informatique Appliquées
Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières

[protege-owl] Re: Problem Using SWRLtab and "OWL+SWRL -> Jess" Button ...

vsingh
Hi

I am using Protege 3.2 beta.Would like to know how can we install/use
the visual editor for Jess Rule Engine.Please advice.

Thanks
Vaishali

Quoting Michel Charest <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
>
> * When attempting to export my "OWL concepts and SWRL rules" to "Jess facts
> and rules"
> using the "OWL+SWRL -> Jess" Button (in the lower Jess Rule Engine Panel), I
> get the
> following exception:
> "Exception importing SWRL rules and OWL knowledge:
> edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.swrl.bridge.exceptions.SWRLRuleEngineBridgeExc
> eption:
> Unknown argument #1 to individual property atom @_:A41. Expecting variable
> or individual."
>
> Here is the simple SWRL Rule I am attempting to Export:
> noExamples(pc, ?x1) ^ swrlb:greaterThan(?x1, 10000) ^
> transactionData(pc, ?x2) ^ swrlb:equal(?x2, 1)
> ->  advice(ac, aggregation)
>
> Both the "pc" and "ac" individuals are defined with properties
> (noExamples and transactionData) and respective ranges (11000, 1).
> Both properties are  "Data Type" properties and both of their
> ranges are "int" type.
>
> Questions:
> ----------
>
> a) It is possible to pin-point which part of the SWRL rule is causing the
> problem (i.e. argument #1 to individual property atom @_:A41) ?
>
> b) Any ideas why the SWRL rule or OWL knowledge might be creating this
> problem would be most appreciated ?
>
> Regards,
> Michel
> Mathématiques et Informatique Appliquées
> Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières

[protege-owl] Re: Problem Using SWRLtab and "OWL+SWRL -> Jess" Button ...

Martin O'Connor

Are you using the very latest beta build?

Are there three individuals in the knowledge base named 'pc' and 'ac' and
'aggregation'?

I'll try to update the exception to make it more sensible.

Martin

[protege-owl] Re: Problem Using SWRLtab and "OWL+SWRL -> Jess" Button ...

vsingh
Hi all,

I have Jess installed but I am unable to see J button (in the lower
Jess Rule Engine Panel).Is there anything am missing.Please advice.

Thanks

VaishaliQuoting Michel Charest <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
>
> * When attempting to export my "OWL concepts and SWRL rules" to "Jess facts
> and rules"
> using the "OWL+SWRL -> Jess" Button (in the lower Jess Rule Engine Panel), I
> get the
> following exception:
> "Exception importing SWRL rules and OWL knowledge:
> edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.swrl.bridge.exceptions.SWRLRuleEngineBridgeExc
> eption:
> Unknown argument #1 to individual property atom @_:A41. Expecting variable
> or individual."
>
> Here is the simple SWRL Rule I am attempting to Export:
> noExamples(pc, ?x1) ^ swrlb:greaterThan(?x1, 10000) ^
> transactionData(pc, ?x2) ^ swrlb:equal(?x2, 1)
> ->  advice(ac, aggregation)
>
> Both the "pc" and "ac" individuals are defined with properties
> (noExamples and transactionData) and respective ranges (11000, 1).
> Both properties are  "Data Type" properties and both of their
> ranges are "int" type.
>
> Questions:
> ----------
>
> a) It is possible to pin-point which part of the SWRL rule is causing the
> problem (i.e. argument #1 to individual property atom @_:A41) ?
>
> b) Any ideas why the SWRL rule or OWL knowledge might be creating this
> problem would be most appreciated ?
>
> Regards,
> Michel
> Mathématiques et Informatique Appliquées
> Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières

[protege-owl] Re: Problem Using SWRLtab and "OWL+SWRL -> Jess"Button ...

Martin O'Connor

http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SWRLJessTab

Make sure you have the very latest Protégé beta.

Martin

I am using Protege 3.2 beta.Would like to know how can we install/use
the visual editor for Jess Rule Engine.Please advice.

Thanks
Vaishali

Quoting Michel Charest <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
>
> * When attempting to export my "OWL concepts and SWRL rules" to "Jess
facts
> and rules"
> using the "OWL+SWRL -> Jess" Button (in the lower Jess Rule Engine Panel),
> get the
> following exception:
> "Exception importing SWRL rules and OWL knowledge:

edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.swrl.bridge.exceptions.SWRLRuleEngineBridgeExc

> eption:
> Unknown argument #1 to individual property atom @_:A41. Expecting variable
> or individual."
>
> Here is the simple SWRL Rule I am attempting to Export:
> noExamples(pc, ?x1) ^ swrlb:greaterThan(?x1, 10000) ^
> transactionData(pc, ?x2) ^ swrlb:equal(?x2, 1)
> ->  advice(ac, aggregation)
>
> Both the "pc" and "ac" individuals are defined with properties
> (noExamples and transactionData) and respective ranges (11000, 1).
> Both properties are  "Data Type" properties and both of their
> ranges are "int" type.
>
> Questions:
> ----------
>
> a) It is possible to pin-point which part of the SWRL rule is causing the
> problem (i.e. argument #1 to individual property atom @_:A41) ?
>
> b) Any ideas why the SWRL rule or OWL knowledge might be creating this
> problem would be most appreciated ?
>
> Regards,
> Michel
> Mathématiques et Informatique Appliquées
> Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières

[protege-owl] Re: Problem Using SWRLtab and "OWL+SWRL -> Jess" Button ...

mcharest
Hi Martin,

* I am using the latest (build 324) I fetched over the week-end.
I presume you might be suggesting that I fetch the "non-officially"
released version of SWRLtab code from the source code repository
in the meantime ?

* Exactly, there are 3 individuals (pc, ac, and aggregation) in
my SWRL rule.  But, I have also experimented with a very simple
SWRL rule ( noExamples(pc, 11000) -> advice(ac, aggregation) ) and
I get the same exception.

* Thank you for offering to make the exception code more readable.

Regards,
Michel

Hi Vaishali,

* For me all that was required was the following:
a) Install build 32 of Protege-OWL 3.2 beta
b) Acquire the jess.jar file from Jess web site
c) Install the jess.jar file in:
C:<protege_install_dir>\plugins\edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl
d) It might be a good idea to define a single SWRL rule and relevant
individuals/properties
   (I don't recall if it is possible to press "J" without it.)

* From this, you should be able to fire up the "Jess panel" from the
SWRLtab by clicking on the "J".

Hope that helps,
Michel

Hi again,

I meant build 324 (or latest build) not "build 32" !

Michel

Tania Tudorache
Did you copy the jess.jar in the
Protege_install_dir/plugins/edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl?

Is the J button in the upper right corner of the SWRLTab active?

You can see a screenshot of how the SWRLTab with the activated Jess
should look like here: http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SWRLJessTab

Tania

[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have Jess installed but I am unable to see J button (in the lower
> Jess Rule Engine Panel).Is there anything am missing.Please advice.
>
> Thanks
>
> VaishaliQuoting Michel Charest <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> * When attempting to export my "OWL concepts and SWRL rules" to "Jess
>> facts
>> and rules"
>> using the "OWL+SWRL -> Jess" Button (in the lower Jess Rule Engine
>> Panel), I
>> get the
>> following exception:
>> "Exception importing SWRL rules and OWL knowledge:
>> edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.swrl.bridge.exceptions.SWRLRuleEngineBridgeExc
>>
>> eption:
>> Unknown argument #1 to individual property atom @_:A41. Expecting
>> variable
>> or individual."
>>
>> Here is the simple SWRL Rule I am attempting to Export:
>> noExamples(pc, ?x1) ^ swrlb:greaterThan(?x1, 10000) ^
>> transactionData(pc, ?x2) ^ swrlb:equal(?x2, 1)
>> ->  advice(ac, aggregation)
>>
>> Both the "pc" and "ac" individuals are defined with properties
>> (noExamples and transactionData) and respective ranges (11000, 1).
>> Both properties are  "Data Type" properties and both of their
>> ranges are "int" type.
>>
>> Questions:
>> ----------
>>
>> a) It is possible to pin-point which part of the SWRL rule is causing
>> the
>> problem (i.e. argument #1 to individual property atom @_:A41) ?
>>
>> b) Any ideas why the SWRL rule or OWL knowledge might be creating this
>> problem would be most appreciated ?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Michel
>> Mathématiques et Informatique Appliquées
>> Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières

[protege-owl] Re: Problem Using SWRLtab and "OWL+SWRL -> Jess"Button ...

mcharest
Hi Martin,

* Is there a small test ontology I could use to verify that the SWRLJessTab
is functioning correctly on my end ?

* As previously mentionned, I can get the SWRLJessTab to load correctly,
but I immediately get an exception when pressing the "OWL+SWRL -> Jess"
button.

Best Regards,
Michel

Christine Golbreich
I don't know what you want exactly. Here is a very small test ontology
There is no problem on my side when pressing OWL+SWRL -> Jess and Run Jess

Christine

Family2b.owl (6K) Download Attachment

[protege-owl] Re: Problem Using SWRLtab and "OWL+SWRL -> Jess" Button ...

Martin O'Connor

> * I am using the latest (build 324) I fetched over the week-end.
> I presume you might be suggesting that I fetch the "non-officially"
> released version of SWRLtab code from the source code repository
> in the meantime ?

No - the Subversion code is not substantially different from release 324. I
will take a look at this problem tomorrow and see if I can reproduce it.

Martin

The SWRL Editor FAQ
(http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SWRLEditorFAQ#nid6I0) also includes
a link to a set of sample rules.

What exception do you get?

Martin

I don't know what you want exactly. Here is a very small test ontology
There is no problem on my side when pressing OWL+SWRL -> Jess and Run Jess

Christine

> * Is there a small test ontology I could use to verify that the
SWRLJessTab

> is functioning correctly on my end ?
>
> * As previously mentionned, I can get the SWRLJessTab to load correctly,
> but I immediately get an exception when pressing the "OWL+SWRL -> Jess"
> button.
>
> Best Regards,
> Michel

Hi Martin (and Christine),

* I may have more meaningful details to report concerning my
use of the SWRLtab and SWRLJessTab.

For example, the following rule works fine:
T1 := ProblemCase(?x)  ->  hasAdvice(?x, aggregation)
(Notice that I am using variable for the predicates)

Now, the following rule fails (notice now, I am trying to use a
specific individual instead):
T2 := ProblemCase(pc)  ->  hasAdvice(pc, aggregation)        # fails ???

Sorry Martin: The general exception I keep getting is:
"Exception importing SWRL rules and OWL knowledge:
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.swrl.bridge.exceptions.SWRLRuleEngineBridgeExc
eption:
Unknown argument #1 to individual property atom @_:A41. Expecting
variable or individual."

* I might be totally off by attempting to craft a SWRL rule (as defined
by T2).  If so, let me know if I am missing something fundamental. If not,
the problem seems to lie with my using variables (?x) in the rule body. As,
I am using an individual in the head (i.e. aggregation) and it is not
complaining.

* In addition, I have been able to successfully use the family2b.owl
ontology
Christine has provided me.  (Thank you)  Hence, the problem is not with my
setup.

* For your convenience, I have attached the mini-test ontology I am using.

Thanks (I appreciate all the efforts)
Michel

DMA.owl (4K) Download Attachment

[protege-owl] Re: Problem Using SWRLtab and "OWL+SWRL -> Jess"Button ...

Martin O'Connor

The Protege-OWL and SWRLJessBridge Subversion repositories have a fix
for this bug. Your rules should now work as theyare. There will probably
be a new beta release on Friday too that will have the fix.

Thanks for the detailed bug report.

Martin