[protege-owl] Problem with unionOf

Jose Manuel Gascueña Noheda
Hi all,

I have an ontology whith three class: CProgrammer,
JavaProgrammer and Programmer. CProgrammer is disjoint
with JavaProgrammer.

CProgrammer has two individuals (CProgrammer_1 and
CProgrammer_2), while JavaProgrammer has one
individual (JavaProgrammer_1).

Programmer is defined as union of two classes
(CProgrammer or JavaProgrammer).

When I select the Programmer class in Queries tab and
I press the Find button, I don't get any result. I
think that I must get three individuals
(CProgrammer_1, CProgrammer_2 and JavaProgrammer). Why
is that happening? What do I have to do to get three
indidividuals?

Thank you in advance

[protege-owl] Re: Problem with unionOf

John Goodwin
I'm not 100% positive, but I don't think the queries do any inference - so this is probably why you don't get the answer you expect.

From a modelling point of view I wouldn't say

Programmer = JavaProgrammer or Cprogrammer
Disjoint(JavaProgrammer,CProgrammer)

Because there might be individuals who can program in both C and Java. Also what about c++ programmers or pascal programmers? How about

JavaProgrammer = Programmer AND programs someValuesFrom Java
CProgrammer = Programmer AND programs someValuesFrom C
Etc...

Just a suggestion...your approach might be more valid in your domain.

John

Dr John Goodwin
Research Scientist
Research and Innovation
Ordnance Survey

Tel: (+44) 023 80730 5756
Fax: (+44) 023 8030 5072
email: [hidden email]
www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/research

I have an ontology whith three class: CProgrammer, JavaProgrammer and Programmer. CProgrammer is disjoint with JavaProgrammer.

CProgrammer has two individuals (CProgrammer_1 and CProgrammer_2), while JavaProgrammer has one individual (JavaProgrammer_1).

Programmer is defined as union of two classes (CProgrammer or JavaProgrammer).

When I select the Programmer class in Queries tab and I press the Find button, I don't get any result. I think that I must get three individuals (CProgrammer_1, CProgrammer_2 and JavaProgrammer). Why is that happening? What do I have to do to get three indidividuals?

Thank you in advance

.

This email is only intended for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential information. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this email which must not be copied, distributed or disclosed to any other person.

Unless stated otherwise, the contents of this email are personal to the writer and do not represent the official view of Ordnance Survey. Nor can any contract be formed on Ordnance Survey's behalf via email. We reserve the right to monitor emails and attachments without prior notice.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ordnance Survey
Romsey Road
Southampton SO16 4GU
Tel: 023 8079 2000
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk

[protege-owl] Re: Problem with unionOf

Ronnie Valkky
Hi,

John had excellent suggestions.

Also approach depends on the goals defined and the context.

For example, a programmer might master C++ in environemnts such as Unix,
Windows XP, Linux
and another C++ in realtime and embedded environment where she/he has to pay
more attension
to real-time requirements and/or embedded environment.

Also, a programmer might be more specialized to program Java for mobile
devices which typically have
less resources such as memory and power and/or Symbian versus dedicated OS,
and 2D versus 3D GUI.

Hieracrhy/classification might suggest classifying high level programming
language programmers and assembler programmers.

Howabout .NET programming ? Server programming; PHP... ?

Just suggestion, hopefully helpful,
Ronnie