[protege-owl] Problems with individuals

Juan Sequeda
Hi all

I am trying to write the following restriction:

I have a class Group that has to be integrated by at least 2 members
(class member) and at least one of the members has to be a teacher
(class teacher which is a subclass of member)

I have defined it the following way:

A group has to have at least 2 members
A group has to have at least 1 teacher.

First of all... is this correct?

The thing is, when I create a new instance Group, I don't include a
teacher. When i run the consistency test, with racer running, it
doesn't show an error.  What am I doing wrong? Is this the way to find
out if I create individuals correctly?

Thanks for your help.
--
Juan Federico Sequeda Sanclemente
Systems and Computer Engineering Student

"No es bacano... sino Superbacano!"

[protege-owl] Re: Problems with individuals

Hai Wang
Hi Juan,
There are few possible reasons, which make the Group instance
consistent.

1.  You need to specify that your group instance can only have those
members you asserted, otherwise because of the open world assumption
of OWL, the reasoner will assume that this group instance could have
some other members which is a teacher.

2. Even you specified that the group instance could only have the
asserted members; you need to make sure that those members are not
teachers (explicitly assert that those member's types are disjoint
with the class teacher). This is because that in OWL the classes are
assumed to be overlapped unless you say they are not).

To check if your individuals is correctly, you can do the instance
reasoning (press the "i" button next the the classification "c" button).

Regards
Hai

On 8 Feb 2006, at 14:22, Juan Federico Sequeda Sanclemente wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I am trying to write the following restriction:
>
> I have a class Group that has to be integrated by at least 2 members
> (class member) and at least one of the members has to be a teacher
> (class teacher which is a subclass of member)
>
> I have defined it the following way:
>
> A group has to have at least 2 members
> A group has to have at least 1 teacher.
>
> First of all... is this correct?
>
> The thing is, when I create a new instance Group, I don't include a
> teacher. When i run the consistency test, with racer running, it
> doesn't show an error.  What am I doing wrong? Is this the way to find
> out if I create individuals correctly?
>
> Thanks for your help.
> --
> Juan Federico Sequeda Sanclemente
> Systems and Computer Engineering Student
> Universidad del Valle
> Tel: +57 2 516 2612
> Fax: +57 2 516 2613
> Cel: +57 310 390 1211