[protege-owl] Properties and Relations

Gerhard Austaller-2
Hi

In a tutorial about ontologies they distinguish between properties and
relations. Property   is attribte describing a concept and Relation a
relationship between concepts or properties.

The example given is that a professor has an age that is an property
and that he holds lectures that is a relation. Does protege support
this two different "concepts"?  Or do I have to model the "holds
lecture" as property with domain professor?

Any hints?
Thx
Gerhard

[protege-owl] Re: Properties and Relations

Papapanagiwtou Petros
I think what you are referring to is the distinction between Datatype
Properties and Object Properties in OWL.

Datatype properties are/ /relations between instances of classes and RDF
literals and XML Schema datatypes (numbers, strings etc.)
Object properties // relations between instances of two classes.

So using your examples, "age" would be a datatype property and "holds
lecture" would be an object property.

"holds lecture" would have "Professor" as Domain and "Lecture" as Range
so I'm not sure what you mean with your last question.

You may refer to
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-owl-guide-20040210/#SimpleProperties for
more detailed information on OWL Properties.

Hope I've helped,
Petros