[protege-owl] Protege OWL API vs JENA Api

[protege-owl] Protege OWL API vs JENA Api

Juan Sequeda
I have started to use the Jena Api and the Protege-Owl Api and I am a
bit confused
between these two.

I have asked in the Jena discussion list about similarities and
differences and I
would like to know what the protege owl discussion list has to say.

Thanks for your help.

--
Juan Federico Sequeda Sanclemente
Systems and Computer Engineering Student

"No es bacano... sino Superbacano!"

Re: Protege OWL API vs JENA Api

Nick Drummond
Juan,

Hopefully, without stepping on anyone's toes....
Really these 2 APIs are trying to do similar things, each with perhaps a
different perspective.

Jena grew from a primarily RDF(S) focused API that deals with OWL at a
fairly low level.
It has been designed as a lightweight programming framework for semantic
web technologies.

ProtegeOWL fits on top of an OKBC (frames) model and therefore overloads
much of this functionality to fit OWL (although there is not much
seperation between its OWL and RDF(S) support). It has inherited a large
set of GUI and plugin utilities, and is fairly oriented towards ontology
development. ProtegeOWL uses a few jena features and implements a hook
for retrieving a jena model from its OWLModel to allow users to utilise
other jena features (eg SPARQL support).

For a detailed description of the Protege OWL API, please refer to [1]

Nick

[1] http://protege.stanford.edu/plugins/owl/api/