[protege-owl] Publishing owl files

Effie Makri
Dear all,
I have created an owl file, and I wish to publish it on my localhost (I have the
webserver set up)
But when I provide the url, e.g. http://localhost/myFile.owl, the option I get
is to either download it or open it. The browser does not display the contents
of the file in the page.
Are there specific tasks that need to be performed to publish OWL files?
(Please excuse the nature of the question, I'm completely new to all of this)

thanks,
Effie

[protege-owl] Re: Publishing owl files

Olivier Dameron
Dear Effie,

On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 13:49:47 +0000 (UTC), Effie Makri
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
> I have created an owl file, and I wish to publish it on my localhost
> (I have the webserver set up)
> But when I provide the url, e.g. http://localhost/myFile.owl, the

NB: the following paragraph is more of a remark and is not related to
your main question.

Well, one feature of localhost... is that it is
local :-)

The url you mentioned is useless to anybody else. You probably want to
replace "localhost" by the IP address of your server (or its name if
you have a dns; localhost is associated to the 127.0.0.1 address which
is a special IP address designatingg the machine you are in, wherever
that is so that for me, http://localhost/myFile.owl refers to
myFile.owl on my machine).

> option I get is to either download it or open it. The browser does
> not display the contents of the file in the page.
> Are there specific tasks that need to be performed to publish OWL
> files? (Please excuse the nature of the question, I'm completely new
> to all of this)

I think that this behavior should be configured on the client side
(e.g. in your browser).
In order to make sure, do you experience the same behavior with files
from:
http://protege.stanford.edu/plugins/owl/owl-library/index.html

One caveat may be to make sure that your http server provides the
correct mimetype with owl files. You didn't mention what your server is
so I cannot be more specific.

Hope this helps
Olivier

Olivier Dameron <olivier.dameron <at> univ-rennes1.fr> writes:

> Dear Effie,
>
> On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 13:49:47 +0000 (UTC), Effie Makri
> <E.Makri <at> teletel.gr> wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> > I have created an owl file, and I wish to publish it on my localhost
> > (I have the webserver set up)
> > But when I provide the url, e.g. http://localhost/myFile.owl, the
>
> NB: the following paragraph is more of a remark and is not related to
> your main question.
>
> Well, one feature of localhost... is that it is
> local
>
> The url you mentioned is useless to anybody else. You probably want to
> replace "localhost" by the IP address of your server (or its name if
> you have a dns; localhost is associated to the 127.0.0.1 address which
> is a special IP address designatingg the machine you are in, wherever
> that is so that for me, http://localhost/myFile.owl refers to
> myFile.owl on my machine).
>
> > option I get is to either download it or open it. The browser does
> > not display the contents of the file in the page.
> > Are there specific tasks that need to be performed to publish OWL
> > files? (Please excuse the nature of the question, I'm completely new
> > to all of this)
>
> I think that this behavior should be configured on the client side
> (e.g. in your browser).
> In order to make sure, do you experience the same behavior with files
> from:
> http://protege.stanford.edu/plugins/owl/owl-library/index.html
>
> One caveat may be to make sure that your http server provides the
> correct mimetype with owl files. You didn't mention what your server is
> so I cannot be more specific.
>
> Hope this helps
> Olivier

Dear Olivier,
thanks for the answer, it does help.
The reason I'm not using any particular IP address at the moment is because I'm
just trying to test some stuff.
Now, I do not experience the same behaviour when accessing owl files on some
other site, such as from:
http://protege.stanford.edu/plugins/owl/owl-library/index.html, where I can view
the contents of the .owl files in the browser window.
As a web server I'm using Microsoft's IIS. But when I associate the .owl file
with a MIME type, I'm still prompted to either open the file or download it.
(Maybe I'm doing something wrong with the MIME type)

Thanks
Effie

[protege-owl] Re: Publishing owl files

Olivier Dameron
On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 07:58:15 +0000 (UTC), Effie Makri
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> As a web server I'm using Microsoft's IIS. But when I associate
> the .owl file with a MIME type, I'm still prompted to either open the
> file or download it. (Maybe I'm doing something wrong with the MIME
> type)

What mimetype was configured and which one did you try ?

Have you tried:
- "application/rdf+xml"
- "application/xml"

According to:
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/BestPractices/VM/http-examples/
the correct mimetype is "application/rdf+xml"

I have no idea how to configure ms iis though.

Olivier

[protege-owl] Re: Publishing owl files

Effie Makri
I actually tried both of them. Thanks for your help, anyway :-)