[protege-owl] Quering and reasoning in ontologies

[protege-owl] Quering and reasoning in ontologies

Julia Dmitrieva

Hello,

For my project I have to interconnent different
ontologies from BioMedical domain, such as GO,
deseases ontology, chemical ontology, MESH,
The aim is that I can implement(or build on bases of software that
all exist) some engine that can
query and reason in these interconnected ontologies.
I know that it sounds very abstract.

May be somebody have some experience or
suggestions about how to interconnent,
which kind of reasoner can be used.
My experience at this moment is very
negative, because Protege can not load big
ontology files, but the ontologies that I will
use are big (100M) and will be bigger and bigger.

Thanks,
with best regards Julia.

[protege-owl] Re: Quering and reasoning in ontologies

Ulrike Sattler
you might want to have a look at the results of the Tambis project
(google finds them): they did a similar thing. Cheers, Uli

Uli Sattler <Ulrike.Sattler <at> manchester.ac.uk> writes:

> you might want to have a look at the results of the Tambis project
> (google finds them): they did a similar thing. Cheers, Uli

OK, thanks, I will look.

Jul

[protege-owl] Re: Quering and reasoning in ontologies

Nick Drummond
Also, if size is the problem, is this the number of instances is big,
or the number of classes?

It might be worth trying the database backend to Protege.

Nick

On 9 Jun 2006, at 15:32, Julia wrote:

> Uli Sattler <Ulrike.Sattler <at> manchester.ac.uk> writes:
>

>> you might want to have a look at the results of the Tambis project
>> (google finds them): they did a similar thing. Cheers, Uli
>>
> OK, thanks, I will look.
>
> Jul

[protege-owl] Re: Quering and reasoning in ontologies

Julia Dmitrieva
Thank you Nick,

Do you mean that I can use database in order to
"reason" about classes and instances in Thesaurus.owl.

I would like too, any way,  something that well works or
what I really can get working.

At this momet I just have downloaded OWL API sourse, and
after setting the VM parameters with -Xmx512M, and
compiling it, have still the same problem.

Now I try to make my own parser on basis of XML SAX,
but if it possible to access the database, than
may be it is better to work in this direction.

If you can explane me how I can use "database backend"
in Protege, it will be very helpfull for me.

But in the case of using the database directly, all interfaces
and reasoning stuff must be build by my self, or...
Have I good understand it?

Thanks in advance,
Julia