[protege-owl] Represent sentences in OWL?

[protege-owl] Represent sentences in OWL?

Congmin min
Hi, it appears to me that in OWL ontology only single concepts and relationhips  between these concepts  can be  represented, which are common 'world knowledge'. Is there any way for representing contextual knowledge. For example, I want to express the following sentence in OWL, Is that possible?
  John walked to the station for 50 minutes.

If you have any ideas, I would very much appreciate.
Congmin

[protege-owl] Re: Represent sentences in OWL?

Ulrike Sattler
hm, i am not sure what you mean with "contextual knowledge", but if
you mean knowledge about individuals, then you can do this:

John type Pedestrian
John (value walksto Piccadilly)

Does this help? Have a look at http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~horrocks/
Publications/download/2003/HoPH03a.pdf page 22,... for more. Cheers, Uli

On 30 Jun 2006, at 16:35, Congmin min wrote:

> Hi, it appears to me that in OWL ontology only single concepts and
> relationhips  between these concepts  can be  represented, which
> are common 'world knowledge'. Is there any way for representing
> contextual knowledge. For example, I want to express the following
> sentence in OWL, Is that possible?
>   John walked to the station for 50 minutes.
>
> If you have any ideas, I would very much appreciate.
> Congmin

[protege-owl] Re: Represent sentences in OWL?

Congmin min
Thanks for message.

You mean I can use "walksto" as a property, but I want "walk" as a concept, because a verb is also a concept. If I want to do sth like this, then what property may I use? It seems that in OWL all verbs are treated as properties.

And also, even if I use 'walkto' as a property, I should use the somevaluesfrom?

On 6/30/06, Uli Sattler <[hidden email]> wrote:
hm, i am not sure what you mean with "contextual knowledge", but if
you mean knowledge about individuals, then you can do this:

John type Pedestrian
John (value walksto Piccadilly)

Does this help? Have a look at http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~horrocks/
Publications/download/2003/HoPH03a.pdf page 22,... for more. Cheers, Uli

On 30 Jun 2006, at 16:35, Congmin min wrote:

> Hi, it appears to me that in OWL ontology only single concepts and
> relationhips  between these concepts  can be  represented, which
> are common 'world knowledge'. Is there any way for representing
> contextual knowledge. For example, I want to express the following
> sentence in OWL, Is that possible?
>   John walked to the station for 50 minutes.
>
> If you have any ideas, I would very much appreciate.
> Congmin

[protege-owl] Re: Represent sentences in OWL?

Kim,Soonho

You can create a concept "walk" as a verb. it doesn't not matter of POS. You can define this walk concept as you want using a class not a property. Your "walk" class should contain common properties of each individual "walk".

________________________________

winmail.dat (7K) Download Attachment

[protege-owl] Re: Represent sentences in OWL?

Congmin min
So, if I say "John walks slowly", and I created three concepts (two classes and an individual) "John", "walk" and "slowly". Then what property I can use to connect these three concepts? There are two relations here: (John, walks) and (walk, slowly)
something like?

hasWalk(hasValue, John) (where is the concept "walk"?)
isSlowly(??)

This seems not the right way.

On 6/30/06, Kim,Soonho <[hidden email]> wrote:

You can create a concept "walk" as a verb. it doesn't not matter of POS. You can define this walk concept as you want using a class not a property. Your "walk" class should contain common properties of each individual "walk".

>It seems that in OWL all verbs are treated as properties

________________________________

You mean I can use "walksto" as a property, but I want "walk" as a concept, because a verb is also a concept. If I want to do sth like this, then what property may I use? It seems that in OWL all verbs are treated as properties.

And also, even if I use 'walkto' as a property, I should use the somevaluesfrom?

On 6/30/06, Uli Sattler <[hidden email]> wrote:

        hm, i am not sure what you mean with "contextual knowledge", but if
        you mean knowledge about individuals, then you can do this:

        John type Pedestrian
        John (value walksto Piccadilly)

        Does this help? Have a look at http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~horrocks/
        Publications/download/2003/HoPH03a.pdf page 22,... for more. Cheers, Uli

        On 30 Jun 2006, at 16:35, Congmin min wrote:

        > Hi, it appears to me that in OWL ontology only single concepts and
        > relationhips  between these concepts  can be  represented, which
        > are common 'world knowledge'. Is there any way for representing
        > contextual knowledge. For example, I want to express the following
        > sentence in OWL, Is that possible?
        >   John walked to the station for 50 minutes.
        >
        > If you have any ideas, I would very much appreciate.
        > Congmin

[protege-owl] Re: Represent sentences in OWL?

Steve Wartik
There are lots of ways to represent this kind of information, but your problem is selecting one that meets your needs.

I've never been fond of verb concepts as classes. I don't know what an individual of that class would denote. That's my preference, and I'm not saying it should be yours.

To represent information such as "John walks slowly", I would create classes Person, Walker as a subclass of Person (Persons that walk), Slow-Walker, a subclass of Walker (individuals that walk slowly), and Walk. I would relate Person and Walk with property takes(Person,Walk). Then, using pseudo-SWRL, Person(?p) ^ Walk(?w) ^ takes(?p, ?w) -> Walker(?p).

You need additional criteria to determine if a Walker is a Slow-Walker. Of course, these criteria depend on your model. You might assign origin, destination, and duration properties to Walk, and have rules like Walker(?p) ^ Walk(?w) ^ takes(?p, ?w) ^ origin(?w, West End) ^ destination(?w, Piccadilly) ^ ^ duration(?w, ?d) ^ swrlb:gt(?d, 50) -> Slow-Walker(?p). That is, anyone who takes more than 50 minutes to walk from the West End to Piccadilly is a slow walker (pardon my ignorance of London geography).

Would this work for you?

Congmin min wrote:
So, if I say "John walks slowly", and I created three concepts (two classes and an individual) "John", "walk" and "slowly". Then what property I can use to connect these three concepts? There are two relations here: (John, walks) and (walk, slowly)
something like?

hasWalk(hasValue, John) (where is the concept "walk"?)
isSlowly(??)

This seems not the right way.

On 6/30/06, Kim,Soonho <[hidden email]> wrote:

You can create a concept "walk" as a verb. it doesn't not matter of POS. You can define this walk concept as you want using a class not a property. Your "walk" class should contain common properties of each individual "walk".

>It seems that in OWL all verbs are treated as properties

________________________________

You mean I can use "walksto" as a property, but I want "walk" as a concept, because a verb is also a concept. If I want to do sth like this, then what property may I use? It seems that in OWL all verbs are treated as properties.

And also, even if I use 'walkto' as a property, I should use the somevaluesfrom?

On 6/30/06, Uli Sattler <[hidden email]> wrote:

        hm, i am not sure what you mean with "contextual knowledge", but if
        you mean knowledge about individuals, then you can do this:

        John type Pedestrian
        John (value walksto Piccadilly)

        Does this help? Have a look at http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~horrocks/
        Publications/download/2003/HoPH03a.pdf page 22,... for more. Cheers, Uli

        On 30 Jun 2006, at 16:35, Congmin min wrote:

        > Hi, it appears to me that in OWL ontology only single concepts and
        > relationhips  between these concepts  can be  represented, which
        > are common 'world knowledge'. Is there any way for representing
        > contextual knowledge. For example, I want to express the following
        > sentence in OWL, Is that possible?
        >   John walked to the station for 50 minutes.
        >
        > If you have any ideas, I would very much appreciate.
        > Congmin

[protege-owl] Re: Represent sentences in OWL?

Chris Mungall

I would create 4 individuals:

John, walk1, slow1, Picadilly

These would be instances of the following classes:

John is an instance of Person
walk1 is an instance of the process class "walking"
slow1 is an instance of the quality class "slow"
Picadilly is in instance of Location

John stands in a participates_in relation to walk1
(or the reverse, with has_participant)
walk1 stands in a has_quality relation to slow1
(or the reverse, with inheres_in)
walk1 stands in a has_destination relation to Picadilly

There are of course other ways of representing this; eg you may want
to instantiate a "route". Other representations may be more
economical, but the above is in accord with W3C semantic web best
practices, and is consistent with how this is handled in other
ontologies. See for instance http://obo.sourceforge.net/relationship/
#OBO_REL:has_participant

Regarding your original question - this isn't a representation of a
sentence - for that you may want some kind of ontology of sentences;
this is a representation of the real-world entities referred to in
the sentence

Cheers
Chris

On Jun 30, 2006, at 11:32 AM, Congmin min wrote:

> So, if I say "John walks slowly", and I created three concepts (two
> classes and an individual) "John", "walk" and "slowly". Then what
> property I can use to connect these three concepts? There are two
> relations here: (John, walks) and (walk, slowly)
> something like?
>
> hasWalk(hasValue, John) (where is the concept "walk"?)
> isSlowly(??)
>
> This seems not the right way.
>
> On 6/30/06, Kim,Soonho <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You can create a concept "walk" as a verb. it doesn't not matter of
> POS. You can define this walk concept as you want using a class not
> a property. Your "walk" class should contain common properties of
> each individual "walk".
>

> >It seems that in OWL all verbs are treated as properties
>
> ________________________________

adam.saltiel
I like Chris' solution.
BTW, I notice:-
John walked to the station for 50 minutes
is at least ambiguous in that we only know that the intended destination is the station, not that John arives, that it takes him 50 minutes to complete the walk. He may have turned around after fifty minutes (past imperfect and past perfect, for/in 50 minutes, I think).
This would have an implication in how a destination was denoted, since, on this information, you couldn't imply that the length of the walk to the station for John was 50 minutes. Only that he walked towards the station for fifty minues, or with the intended destination of the station. Tricky if it is required to retain such subtle distinctions, I think.
Adam
On 30/06/06, chris mungall <[hidden email]> wrote:

I would create 4 individuals:

John, walk1, slow1, Picadilly

These would be instances of the following classes:

John is an instance of Person
walk1 is an instance of the process class "walking"
slow1 is an instance of the quality class "slow"
Picadilly is in instance of Location

John stands in a participates_in relation to walk1
(or the reverse, with has_participant)
walk1 stands in a has_quality relation to slow1
(or the reverse, with inheres_in)
walk1 stands in a has_destination relation to Picadilly

There are of course other ways of representing this; eg you may want
to instantiate a "route". Other representations may be more
economical, but the above is in accord with W3C semantic web best
practices, and is consistent with how this is handled in other
ontologies. See for instance http://obo.sourceforge.net/relationship/
#OBO_REL:has_participant

Regarding your original question - this isn't a representation of a
sentence - for that you may want some kind of ontology of sentences;
this is a representation of the real-world entities referred to in
the sentence

Cheers
Chris

On Jun 30, 2006, at 11:32 AM, Congmin min wrote:

> So, if I say "John walks slowly", and I created three concepts (two
> classes and an individual) "John", "walk" and "slowly". Then what
> property I can use to connect these three concepts? There are two
> relations here: (John, walks) and (walk, slowly)
> something like?
>
> hasWalk(hasValue, John) (where is the concept "walk"?)
> isSlowly(??)
>
> This seems not the right way.
>
> On 6/30/06, Kim,Soonho <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You can create a concept "walk" as a verb. it doesn't not matter of
> POS. You can define this walk concept as you want using a class not
> a property. Your "walk" class should contain common properties of
> each individual "walk".
>

> >It seems that in OWL all verbs are treated as properties
>
> ________________________________

John Goodwin
Take a look at this:

http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-classes-as-values/

Given individuals john, station and journey1 can't you say something like:

john rdf:type Person
station1 rdf:type Station
journey1 rdf:type Journey
duration1 rdf:type Duration
etc..

john participatesIn journey1
journey1 hasDuration 50 [1]
journey1 hasModeOfTransport walking1
journey1 hasDestination station1

[1] you could break this down more

journey1 hasDuration duration1
duration1 hasValue 50
duration1 hasUnit minutes

or maybe you could defined a class

Walker = Person and hasModeOfTransport some Walking

and then john rdf:walker and add the other statement from the above.

does that help?

John

________________________________

Hi, it appears to me that in OWL ontology only single concepts and relationhips  between these concepts  can be  represented, which are common 'world knowledge'. Is there any way for representing contextual knowledge. For example, I want to express the following sentence in OWL, Is that possible?
  John walked to the station for 50 minutes.

If you have any ideas, I would very much appreciate.
Congmin

.

This email is only intended for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential information. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this email which must not be copied, distributed or disclosed to any other person.

Unless stated otherwise, the contents of this email are personal to the writer and do not represent the official view of Ordnance Survey. Nor can any contract be formed on Ordnance Survey's behalf via email. We reserve the right to monitor emails and attachments without prior notice.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ordnance Survey
Romsey Road
Southampton SO16 4GU