[protege-owl] Sysnonyms And Hypernyms in protege-owl?

[protege-owl] Sysnonyms And Hypernyms in protege-owl?

Tabbasum
Hello

In protege owl i want to store synonyms(to get same meaning)and hypernyms(to get specific  and generic concepts) for job portals.

Later on my ontology should give answer of questions like
Q1: Synonyms for job is occupation.

Q2: Specific concept for "A" is "B"
For example, if there are classes like

Engineering
  •        Software Enhgineering
  •        Hardware Engineering

Then my ontology must answer that Hardware Engineering is specific concept for Engineering.

Do Annotation property can handle both type of above questions.?
How can i model this?
Do i"ve to use SPARQL in future to get answers of these questions or anyother way available?

Looking for your reply.

Best Regards
Tabbasum

Re: [protege-owl] Sysnonyms And Hypernyms in protege-owl?

skarim
Hi,
I don't think Annotation property can handle either of these.

In my opinion;

For Q1; For Synonyms you can use OWL:sameAS, provided you modeled the ontology in such a way that "job" and "occupation" are individuals of the same class.

For Q2. One way to model is to make "Hardware Engineering", "Software Engineering" as subclasses of "Engineering".

However, it depends a lot on how you want to model your ontology.

You can use query language like SPARQL for getting answers or query programatically (e.g., using Jena API).

Hope it is helpful.

Regards,

Shuaib Karim

Re: [protege-owl] Sysnonyms And Hypernyms in protege-owl?

fraktalek
Hello,

but isn't there a problem that when using sameAs on classes you automatically fall into OWL-Full? ...the problem is that using sameAs requires the classes to be treated as individuals which is only possible in OWL-Full... the solution to this problem could be using the owl:equivalentClass property instead. The difference would be that you declare that "occupation" and "job" are equal only extensionally and it would let you stay in OWL-DL. In both cases you would have to create two separate classes "job" and "occupation" and then declare using sameAs that they are equal.

I am also looking for ways of enriching my ontology with synonyms but I need to stay in OWL-DL. I unfortunately haven't found a satisfying solution yet..(I don't like the idea of creating new classes to add a synonym...). In my opinion it is a similar to the multilingual ontology problem about which there already was some discussion in this mailing list (also ending without a nice solution..).

Maybe it would help to think again about what exactly you (or I) need those synonyms for. It should be possible to define a datatype property hasSynonym with String as range and then use it on any concept in the ontology you like. Then if the acutal name of the concept was "Job" you could make a query asking for all synonyms of Job which would return the "Occupation". Problem would be the other way round. In that case you would have to ask for all concepts that have "Occupation" as a synonym and then ask for all synonyms of these concepts... Maybe this would be even more clean way of doing this in the sense that each concept has actually only one real name (has it?) and it would clutter the ontology with new classes... What do you think?

Regards,
Jakub

On 12/29/06, Shuaib Karim <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
I don't think Annotation property can handle either of these.

In my opinion;

For Q1; For Synonyms you can use OWL:sameAS, provided you modeled the ontology in such a way that "job" and "occupation" are individuals of the same class.

For Q2. One way to model is to make "Hardware Engineering", "Software Engineering" as subclasses of "Engineering".

However, it depends a lot on how you want to model your ontology.

You can use query language like SPARQL for getting answers or query programatically (e.g., using Jena API).

Hope it is helpful.

Regards,

Shuaib Karim

Re: [protege-owl] Sysnonyms And Hypernyms in protege-owl?

Jan Henke
>  Maybe this would be even more clean way of doing this in the sense that
each concept has actually only one real name (has it?)

I think it would be even cleaner if a concept has no name at all - i.e. if
the identifier isn't even human understandable like eg. 123xyz (a bit like
the synsets in WordNet). This concept you would just link to the desired
number of labels. In addition you could base your ontology on PROTON
(http://proton.semanticweb.org/) and use the properties hasAlias and
hasMainAlias.

Best regards
Jan

________________________________

Re: [protege-owl] Sysnonyms And Hypernyms in protege-owl?

Roger Brittain
In relation to this discussion about Hypernyms, have any of you looked
at the Read Code and Snomed as used in the British national health
service health information system?

Dr. Roger Brittain
The Old Rectory
Brinklow
Warwickshire
CV23 0NE
Great Britain
Telephone (44) 01788 832 660
Mobile 077 17 00 00 57
Email      [hidden email]
Website  www.brittain.cc
>  Maybe this would be even more clean way of doing this in the sense
that
each concept has actually only one real name (has it?)

I think it would be even cleaner if a concept has no name at all - i.e.
if
the identifier isn't even human understandable like eg. 123xyz (a bit
like
the synsets in WordNet). This concept you would just link to the desired
number of labels. In addition you could base your ontology on PROTON
(http://proton.semanticweb.org/) and use the properties hasAlias and
hasMainAlias.

Best regards
Jan

and it would clutter the ontology with new classes... What do you think?

Regards,
Jakub

        On 12/29/06, Shuaib Karim <[hidden email]> wrote:

                Hi,
                I don't think Annotation property can handle either of
these.

                In my opinion;

                For Q1; For Synonyms you can use OWL:sameAS, provided
you
modeled the ontology in such a way that "job" and "occupation" are
individuals of the same class.

                For Q2. One way to model is to make "Hardware
Engineering",
"Software Engineering" as subclasses of "Engineering".

                However, it depends a lot on how you want to model your
ontology.

                You can use query language like SPARQL for getting
answers
or query programatically (e.g., using Jena API).

                Hope it is helpful.

                Regards,

                Shuaib Karim

________________________________

Re: [protege-owl] Sysnonyms And Hypernyms in protege-owl?

Tabbasum
Hello

For defining synonyms for my ontology, defining a datatype property hasSynonym with String as range and then using it on differnt concepts is  enough.

And for Hypernyms, making subclasses is enough.
By using SPARQL , now i can retreive synonyms and hypernyms.
Thanks to Shuaib Bhie and Jakub for the nice and simple solutions.

Best Regards
Tabbasum

[hidden email] wrote:
[...]

Karlheinz Toni
Hi Tabbasum,

maybe http://www.w3.org/TR/wordnet-rdf/ is of any help for you: it offers a way to model WordNet Relations in RDF (including hypernyms and synonyms).

Sincerely
Charly

2006/12/29, Tabbasum Naz <[hidden email]>:
Hello

In protege owl i want to store synonyms(to get same meaning)and hypernyms(to get specific  and generic concepts) for job portals.

Later on my ontology should give answer of questions like
Q1: Synonyms for job is occupation.

Q2: Specific concept for "A" is "B"
For example, if there are classes like

Engineering
  •        Software Enhgineering
  •        Hardware Engineering

Then my ontology must answer that Hardware Engineering is specific concept for Engineering.

Do Annotation property can handle both type of above questions.?
How can i model this?
Do i"ve to use SPARQL in future to get answers of these questions or anyother way available?

Looking for your reply.

Best Regards
Tabbasum

Technische Universit√§t M√ľnchen/Bayerische Elite-Akademie
T: 0049 (89) 289/18667
M: 0049 (176) 29316478
E: [hidden email]
W: http://www11.in.tum.de/~toni