[protege-owl] another question on relationship/property

12

[protege-owl] another question on relationship/property

Y.W.Yang
Hi,

Consider the fact, "A loves B, B loves C, but A doesn't love C". I tried to represent it with Protege, it appears difficult to manage, even I defined "love" as Non-transitive. The result becomes "A loves B and C, B loves itself and C". Anyone can tell me how to deal with that (in protege)?

Thanks,
Yanwu

[protege-owl] Re: another question on relationship/property

Hai Wang
Hi Yanwu,
Could you model it as following?

        LOVES SOME B
        NOT (LOVES SOME C)

        LOVES SOME C.

Regards
Hai

On 6 Feb 2006, at 01:31, Y.W.Yang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Consider the fact, "A loves B, B loves C, but A doesn't love C". I
> tried to represent it with Protege, it appears difficult to manage,
> even I defined "love" as Non-transitive. The result becomes "A
> loves B and C, B loves itself and C". Anyone can tell me how to
> deal with that (in protege)?
>
> Thanks,
> Yanwu

> subscribe.html

Regards
Hai

Research Associate
Department of Computer Science
Kilburn Building
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL
UK
Homepage: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~hwang

[protege-owl] Failure in generating OWLDoc destroyed OWL project

Ronnie Valkky
Hi all,

Tools/Generate OWLDoc: failed for some unknown reason
Result: original OWL project was destroyed
Version:Protege 3.2 Build 241
Temporary solution: I copy my OWL project and files to another drive and
create OWLDoc files there
Better solution: ?
Question: does it not first copy original OWL files to a temperary files to
create OWLDocs ?

Ronnie

[protege-owl] Propterties lost

Ronnie Valkky

saved my work for coffee break, after break discovered that most properties
were deleted
analysis: owl file size before save 131kb, after save 64 kb
question: is it safer to close than to save ?

version:Protege 3.2 Build 241

Ronnie

[protege-owl] Adding property which is an instance of already defined class

Ronnie Valkky

which choise in property editor to choose:
rdfs:isDefinedBy ? owl:sameAs? other ?

Ronnie

[protege-owl] Continuation after saving

Ronnie Valkky

version:Protege 3.2 Build 241
case: after having saved my project I tried to add a new propterty
problem: Protege OWL window displayed: out of memory
error message: Plugin Jambalya Project Plugin does not implement the after
SAVE method - ProjectPluinManager.aftersave
exception in AWT event queue
question: do I have to close project and open again to be able to continue ?

Ronnie

[protege-owl] Re: Propterties lost

Rinke Hoekstra-3
Hi Ronnie,

Did any exceptions show when closing Protege? Can you reproduce the problem?

-Rinke

Ronnie Valkky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> saved my work for coffee break, after break discovered that most properties
> were deleted
> analysis: owl file size before save 131kb, after save 64 kb
> question: is it safer to close than to save ?
>
> version:Protege 3.2 Build 241
>
> Ronnie

--------------------------------------
Rinke Hoekstra         [hidden email]
T: +31-20-5253499    F: +31-20-5253495
Leibniz Center for Law,    Law Faculty
University of Amsterdam,   PO Box 1030
1000 BA  Amsterdam,    The Netherlands

[protege-owl] Re: Continuation after saving

Rinke Hoekstra-3
Ronnie Valkky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> version:Protege 3.2 Build 241
> case: after having saved my project I tried to add a new propterty
> problem: Protege OWL window displayed: out of memory
> error message: Plugin Jambalya Project Plugin does not implement the after
> SAVE method - ProjectPluinManager.aftersave
> exception in AWT event queue
> question: do I have to close project and open again to be able to continue ?

I'm not a Yambalaya expert, but I expect an exception (a proper one)
would show in the console. Usually when things such as this happen you
should indeed restart protege in order to continue safely (Note: you can
always view the source of your project from the menu, and copy-paste
into a text file as a backup).

-Rinke

--------------------------------------
Rinke Hoekstra         [hidden email]
T: +31-20-5253499    F: +31-20-5253495
Leibniz Center for Law,    Law Faculty
University of Amsterdam,   PO Box 1030
1000 BA  Amsterdam,    The Netherlands

[protege-owl] Re: Failure in generating OWLDoc destroyed OWL project

Rinke Hoekstra-3
Ronnie Valkky wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Tools/Generate OWLDoc: failed for some unknown reason
> Result: original OWL project was destroyed
> Version:Protege 3.2 Build 241
> Temporary solution: I copy my OWL project and files to another drive and
> create OWLDoc files there
> Better solution: ?
> Question: does it not first copy original OWL files to a temperary files to
> create OWLDocs ?
>
> Ronnie

There's probably something in your project which is not supported by
OWLDoc. Maybe someone from the Protege team can have a look at your file?

-Rinke

--
--------------------------------------
Rinke Hoekstra         [hidden email]
T: +31-20-5253499    F: +31-20-5253495
Leibniz Center for Law,    Law Faculty
University of Amsterdam,   PO Box 1030
1000 BA  Amsterdam,    The Netherlands

[protege-owl] Re: Adding property which is an instance of already defined class

Rinke Hoekstra-3
Ronnie Valkky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> which choise in property editor to choose:
> rdfs:isDefinedBy ? owl:sameAs? other ?
>
> Ronnie

Yes?

--
--------------------------------------
Rinke Hoekstra         [hidden email]
T: +31-20-5253499    F: +31-20-5253495
Leibniz Center for Law,    Law Faculty
University of Amsterdam,   PO Box 1030
1000 BA  Amsterdam,    The Netherlands

[protege-owl] Re: Propterties lost

Ronnie Valkky
Hi Rinke,

Thanks for your answers.

The following I tried:
Note: all seems to go OK in Protege.exe windows i.e all software and plugins
load OK into memory and software loads my OWL project OK.

Trial I:
1. open project, close project
~ Protege asks whether I want to save changes (although I have not changed
anything)
~ Protege.exe Window:...saving successful
WARNING: Plugin JambalayaProjectPlugin does not implement the afterSave
method - ProjectPluginManager.afterSave()

Trial II:
1. open project, edit one class comment to make one chance
~ click floppy = save icon
~ Protege.exe Window:...saving successful
WARNING: Plugin JambalayaProjectPlugin does not implement the afterSave
method - ProjectPluginManager.afterSave()

I'm just in the middle of manually keying in lost properties, so reproducing
loosing properties have to wait.

I am using Protege 3.2 Build 241 which came with
Jambalaya Release 2.3.1 Build: 1,2005/10/28 16:30

Could it be that
1. Protege 3.2 Build 241 does not include all software from Jambalya ?
2. Protege 3.2 Build 241 came with wrong version from Jambalya ?

Who should implement this ProjectPluginManager.afterSave() method and
what is it?

Looks to me this is a software problem having nothing to do with my OWL
model,
but I can be wrong.

Again, thanks for your answers.

http://protege.stanford.edu/community/subscribe.html

> Rinke Hoekstra         [hidden email]
> T: +31-20-5253499    F: +31-20-5253495
> Leibniz Center for Law,    Law Faculty
> University of Amsterdam,   PO Box 1030
> 1000 BA  Amsterdam,    The Netherlands

[protege-owl] Re: Propterties lost

Matthew Horridge
Hi Ronnie,

Have you been able to contact the Jambalya developers about this?  If
not, I suggest that you do this.  Also, it might be a good idea to
temporarily remove the Jambalya plugin and see if these save problems
persist.  In the mean time I'll try to reproduce this with Jambalya.

On 6 Feb 2006, at 20:23, Rinke Hoekstra wrote:

> Ronnie Valkky wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Tools/Generate OWLDoc: failed for some unknown reason
>> Result: original OWL project was destroyed
>> Version:Protege 3.2 Build 241
>> Temporary solution: I copy my OWL project and files to another
>> drive and
>> create OWLDoc files there
>> Better solution: ?
>> Question: does it not first copy original OWL files to a temperary
>> files to
>> create OWLDocs ?
>>
>> Ronnie

>> subscribe.html
>>

> Hi,
>
> There's probably something in your project which is not supported by
> OWLDoc. Maybe someone from the Protege team can have a look at your
> file?

This would be useful - do you get any exceptions?  OWLDoc shouldn't
actually touch the owl files.

[protege-owl] Re: Continuation after saving

Matthew Horridge
Hi Ronnie,

> version:Protege 3.2 Build 241
> case: after having saved my project I tried to add a new propterty
> problem: Protege OWL window displayed: out of memory

How much memory did you allocate to Protege?  Can you increase the
maximum heap size?

> error message: Plugin Jambalya Project Plugin does not implement
> the after
> SAVE method - ProjectPluinManager.aftersave
> exception in AWT event queue
> question: do I have to close project and open again to be able to
> continue ?
>
> Ronnie

[protege-owl] Re: Continuation after saving

Ronnie Valkky
Thanks Matthew;

I'll increase the maximum stack size and continue with the following
settings:
lax.nl.java.option.java.heap.size.initial=100000000
lax.nl.java.option.java.heap.size.max=256000000

Is it possible to define java thread stack size ( -Xss<size>)?

Cheers,
Ronnie

> > case: after having saved my project I tried to add a new propterty
> > problem: Protege OWL window displayed: out of memory
>
> How much memory did you allocate to Protege?  Can you increase the
> maximum heap size?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matthew
>

> > error message: Plugin Jambalya Project Plugin does not implement
> > the after
> > SAVE method - ProjectPluinManager.aftersave
> > exception in AWT event queue
> > question: do I have to close project and open again to be able to
> > continue ?
> >
> > Ronnie

[protege-owl] Re: Failure in generating OWLDoc destroyed OWL project

Ronnie Valkky
Hi  Matthew,

OWL file works fine with Protege OWL and for example Jambalaya Applet
(http://www.cs.uvic.ca/~chisel/projects/shrimp/demo/jambalaya_applet.html)
handles it ok.

Problem could have been some heap overflow (I increased maximum heap size
based on your feedback).

It looks to me, software does build a temperary file, where it copies
original .owl file before
starting to create documents. However,
as with backups, what will happen when something goes wrong during that
operation =
you might loose original file !

So, to be sure:
1. I close Protege OWL saving my x.owl
2. I copy x.owl FIRST to different drive
3. I start ProtegeOWL again and create documents there

No, I did not notice any exceptions - the only message coming all the time
is that
WARNING: Plugin JambalayaProjectPlugin does not implement the afterSave
method - ProjectPluginManager.afterSave()
What is it ?

Cheers,
Ronnie

> On 6 Feb 2006, at 20:23, Rinke Hoekstra wrote:
>
> > Ronnie Valkky wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Tools/Generate OWLDoc: failed for some unknown reason
> >> Result: original OWL project was destroyed
> >> Version:Protege 3.2 Build 241
> >> Temporary solution: I copy my OWL project and files to another
> >> drive and
> >> create OWLDoc files there
> >> Better solution: ?
> >> Question: does it not first copy original OWL files to a temperary
> >> files to
> >> create OWLDocs ?
> >>
> >> Ronnie

> >> subscribe.html
> >>

> > Hi,
> >
> > There's probably something in your project which is not supported by
> > OWLDoc. Maybe someone from the Protege team can have a look at your
> > file?
>
> This would be useful - do you get any exceptions?  OWLDoc shouldn't
> actually touch the owl files.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matthew

[protege-owl] Re: Propterties lost

Ronnie Valkky
Hi Matthew,

Yes, I sent the following message to the Jambalya developers:
~ I am using Protege 3.2 Build 241 which has Jambalaya Release 2.3.1 Build:
1,2005/10/28 16:30
~ case1: after having saved my project I tried to add a new propterty
~ problem: ERROR message: Plugin Jambalya Project Plugin does not implement
the after SAVE method - ProjectPluinManager.aftersave
~ exception in AWT event queue
~ question: do I have to close project and open again to be able to continue
?
~ case2: after my Protege owl project has been loaded I still get
~ WARNING: Plugin JambalayaProjectPlugin does not implement the afterSave
method - ProjectPluginManager.afterSave()
~ Do I have to install some Jambalya software ?
~ Could it be that Protege 3.2 Build 241 does not include all software from
Jambalya ?
~ thanks in advance
~ Ronnie

I also viewing my OWL file in our web site using
http://www.cs.uvic.ca/~chisel/projects/shrimp/demo/jambalaya_applet.html and
it works fine.

With Protege OWL I'm confused about project File/Save, Save icon(floppy):
~ if I do nothing = I don't change my owl files, what does Protege OWL try
to save as changes ?
~ if I 1)open project 2) do nothing  3) close, what does Protege OWL try to
save as changes ?

Does the message: "Plugin JambalayaProjectPlugin does not implement the
afterSave method - ProjectPluginManager.afterSave() "
try to say that the java method afterSave for class ProjectPluginManager is
missing ?

Cheers,
Ronnie
> Have you been able to contact the Jambalya developers about this?  If
> not, I suggest that you do this.  Also, it might be a good idea to
> temporarily remove the Jambalya plugin and see if these save problems
> persist.  In the mean time I'll try to reproduce this with Jambalya.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matthew
>

> On 7 Feb 2006, at 07:21, Ronnie Valkky wrote:
>
> > Hi Rinke,
> >
> > Thanks for your answers.
> >
> > The following I tried:
> > Note: all seems to go OK in Protege.exe windows i.e all software
> > and plugins
> > load OK into memory and software loads my OWL project OK.
> >
> > Trial I:
> > 1. open project, close project
> > ~ Protege asks whether I want to save changes (although I have not
> > changed
> > anything)
> > ~ Protege.exe Window:...saving successful
> > WARNING: Plugin JambalayaProjectPlugin does not implement the
> > afterSave
> > method - ProjectPluginManager.afterSave()
> >
> > Trial II:
> > 1. open project, edit one class comment to make one chance
> > ~ click floppy = save icon
> > ~ Protege.exe Window:...saving successful
> > WARNING: Plugin JambalayaProjectPlugin does not implement the
> > afterSave
> > method - ProjectPluginManager.afterSave()
> >
> > I'm just in the middle of manually keying in lost properties, so
> > reproducing
> > loosing properties have to wait.
> >
> > I am using Protege 3.2 Build 241 which came with
> > Jambalaya Release 2.3.1 Build: 1,2005/10/28 16:30
> >
> > Could it be that
> > 1. Protege 3.2 Build 241 does not include all software from Jambalya ?
> > 2. Protege 3.2 Build 241 came with wrong version from Jambalya ?
> >
> > Who should implement this ProjectPluginManager.afterSave() method and
> > what is it?
> >
> > Looks to me this is a software problem having nothing to do with my
> > OWL
> > model,
> > but I can be wrong.
> >
> > Again, thanks for your answers.
> > Ronnie

You could try. I don't know whether lax supports this though, better
have a look at the documentation:

http://www.google.com/search?q=lax+properties

Cheers,

        Rinke

--------------------------------------
Rinke Hoekstra         [hidden email]
T: +31-20-5253499    F: +31-20-5253495
Leibniz Center for Law,    Law Faculty
University of Amsterdam,   PO Box 1030
1000 BA  Amsterdam,    The Netherlands

[protege-owl] Re: Jambalaya warnings [WAS: Properties lost]

Jennifer Vendetti
Ronnie,

Ronnie Valkky wrote:
I am using Protege 3.2 Build 241 which came with
Jambalaya Release 2.3.1 Build: 1,2005/10/28 16:30

Could it be that
1. Protege 3.2 Build 241 does not include all software from Jambalya ?

No.
2. Protege 3.2 Build 241 came with wrong version from Jambalya ?

No.
Who should implement this ProjectPluginManager.afterSave() method and what is it?

We recently made some changes to Core Protege to facilitate the ability to open OWL files with a double-click.  As part of this new functionality, we had to change one of the Java interfaces in the core system (edu.stanford.smi.protege.plugin.ProjectPlugin).  The Jambalaya developers have not yet had time to implement the new afterSave() method that was added to the ProjectPlugin interface.  The warning messages you see are totally benign and can be ignored.

Jennifer

[protege-owl] Re: Jambalaya warnings [WAS: Properties lost]

Ronnie Valkky
Hi Jennifer,

Case1: after having saved my project I tried to add a new propterty but was not able to do it
~ message 1: ERROR message: Plugin Jambalya Project Plugin does not implement
the after SAVE method - ProjectPluinManager.aftersave
~ message 2: exception in AWT event queue

Questions:
Q1. Why does it say ERROR if it is just a warning ?
Q2. If it is just a warning, why did it cause exception ?
Q3. Why did I have to close project and open again to be able to continue if it was just a warning ?
Case2: after my Protege owl project has been loaded I still got the message:
WARNING: Plugin JambalayaProjectPlugin does not implement the afterSave
method - ProjectPluginManager.afterSave()

OK = looks like warning & did not cause any exceptions & I could do my work and to save reliably by closing project.

Cheers,
Ronnie