[protege-owl] descriptive logic based ontology

[protege-owl] descriptive logic based ontology

Paul S Prueitt

Please excuse the cross posting to both Protege forums.  I would like to
know precisely where this discussion belongs; but perhaps it belongs to both
the Protege-Discussion (which is supported to be about protege-frames
(derived from CLIPS but not derived from KIF), and Protege-Owl - which is
specific to Owl.  Advise on how to address both forums is requested.  (You
can post this privately to me.)

Just for clarification.  An class instance of a class, A, is not the same as
a sub-class of class A.

Is this true?  I do not always get these types of things correct.

I think that it is ture, according to "all" ? descriptive logics.

This turns out to be an important feature of the DL based ontologies.  The
paradigm is often that individuals are treated quite differently than
"classes".  This seems correct, from one point of view.  However, the nature
of ...  hum..  this goes into something called natural category theory, but
perhaps I can say this right.

<side remark>

The nature of "natural category" formation (such as in cell, gene or social
expression) and the nature of linguistic category formation (which is
derivitive of the other forms of biological expression) treats instances of
a particular in two ways; first as the thing itself and second as part of a
"system" of functional types related to the role that the instance plays in
a specific instance.  This is called "double articulation" in linguistics,
and degeneracy in cell and gene signal pathway expression.  My group is
working on a means based on Soviet era "applied semiotics" for a
n-articulated ontological framework.

But, and this is important if the work on "n-articulated ontology" is to be
understood...  the DL based ontologies create a spable "finite state
machine" where some aspects not achievable in the object oriented data
object definitions cannot achieve.  So in principle, the n-articilated
ontological framework should produce a DL based ontology, and the
translation of a DL based ontology to a object oriented data object (or
system of objects like the SOA IM).

<end side remark>

I appologize if I said this poorly.  Clearly issues now being worked on
regarding the goals of a web service request must take n-articulation into
account, somehow.

so back to the class instance discussion.

 There is no doubt that DL based ontology has to have some ackwardness if it
is to remain true to descriptive logics.  The issue that many of us are
addressing is the translation of data specifications made in UML and object
oriented type information models and standards (such as the ISO 11179 and
the SOA - IM).  The larger issue is the development of control interfaces
using information model based standards when DL based ontological models are
also "linked".

In this case, one has to ask what is "something", that is instanced.  What
is the meaning of something that is defined as an instance.  Functionally,
anything "specific", ie an instance, that serves a purpose is in fact both
an instance and treated as if a class, ie a category.   The nature of
"serving a purpose"

This is precisely where the structure to function relationship arise, with
the many to many mapping in natural systems.  In gene and cell expression
ontology this many to many expression property is called "degeneracy" by
leading scientists, such as Gerald Edelman.

Andrea's assistance in teasing out the properties of RDF, RDFS, and the DL
based ontology is very valable to all of us.  Of course protege frames is a
DL (descriptive logic) based ontology , as is the three or four forms of OWL
(Lite, DL, Full, and S ?)

workspace

Cyrille-7
Hello Paul,
I don't know if you are still online and on groove. Anyhow, I just installed groove on my own laptop and I think I will need your inivitation to access the workspace.
Thanks,
Cyrille.