[protege-owl] protege 3.2 beta not starting

[protege-owl] protege 3.2 beta not starting

sridevi polavaram
I have installed protege on my windows machine choosing just "BASIC+OWL". I already have the Full installation of protege 3.1 that's working fine. When i try to start the 3.2 beta version it says some error message in the console and the application fails to load. I couldn't capture the the entire message but a part of it says as below:

Unable to locate the application's 'main' class. The class 'edu.stanford.smi.protege.Application' must be public and have a 'public static void mai(String[])' method. (LAX)

What is the problem!!
-Thanks
Sri

[protege-owl] Install Fails

Dennis Dickerson
I have tried to install 3.1.1, both with and without the VM, to no avail.  I am running a dual core Athlon with 2 GB of ram, with 7 GB of free space on my C: drive and 150 GB of free space on my D: drive.  I have tried running the install program from each of them, turned off my firewall, exited all running programs, removed all of the programs in my tray as well as halting my virus protection program.  With the VM-based install, all that I see is a fleeting pop up window,  if I try many times and hold down the mouse button, I do see a window to the effect that there is insufficient disk space for temp.  If I attempt the smaller install (without the JVM), it starts and then prompts me for "another location to extract the installer to".  When I provide one, it just repeats the same popup again, regardless of whether I point it to a directory on the C or D drive.  It does create the beginning of an install structure at the location that I provide, such as:

    I1155579621
        Installer Data
            Disk 1
                InstData
        Windows
            resource

but that is as far as it gets.  I believe that I successfully installed this software on a laptop earlier in the year, but am at a loss.  I have rebooted, re-downloaded and taken the other precautions listed above.

Dennis Dickerson

[protege-owl] Re: protege 3.2 beta not starting

Jennifer Vendetti-2
Sri,

I just installed 3.2 beta (build 331), choosing Basic + OWL on a Windows
XP machine and it launches w/out errors.  How are you trying to launch
Protege?  Are you double-clicking on the executable?

Jennifer

sridevi polavaram wrote:

> I have installed protege on my windows machine choosing just
> "BASIC+OWL". I already have the Full installation of protege 3.1
> that's working fine. When i try to start the 3.2 beta version it says
> some error message in the console and the application fails to load. I
> couldn't capture the the entire message but a part of it says as below:
>
> Unable to locate the application's 'main' class. The class
> 'edu.stanford.smi.protege.Application' must be public and have a
> 'public static void mai(String[])' method. (LAX)
>

> What is the problem!!
> -Thanks
> Sri

[protege-owl] Re: protege 3.2 beta not starting

Dennis Dickerson
This was similar to the problem I was experiencing with the 3.1.1 install
today.  Solution was (one or more of the following) - exited virus
protection program (not just turning off its firewall and virus detection
programs), turned off all firewalls (Windows, PC-Cillin and the
motherboard's), installed new drivers for motherboard chipset, re-installed
Service Pack 2 for XP - and just to be certain - exited all programs in the
tray.

Dennis

> I just installed 3.2 beta (build 331), choosing Basic + OWL on a Windows
> XP machine and it launches w/out errors.  How are you trying to launch
> Protege?  Are you double-clicking on the executable?
>
> Jennifer
>
> sridevi polavaram wrote:
>
>> I have installed protege on my windows machine choosing just "BASIC+OWL".
>> I already have the Full installation of protege 3.1 that's working fine.
>> When i try to start the 3.2 beta version it says some error message in
>> the console and the application fails to load. I couldn't capture the the
>> entire message but a part of it says as below:
>>
>> Unable to locate the application's 'main' class. The class
>> 'edu.stanford.smi.protege.Application' must be public and have a 'public
>> static void mai(String[])' method. (LAX)
>>

>> What is the problem!!
>> -Thanks
>> Sri

[protege-owl] Re: protege 3.2 beta not starting

sridevi polavaram
Dennis, I tried to install once again with my Zonealarm firewall turned off...still no luck!
How exactly did u install? does anyone else also has this problem? I am just trying to install Basic+owl in windows xp. I am double clicking on the intall.exe it goes through all the process and says installation is done!
but if i try to start the program it dissappears immediately....

On 8/14/06, Dennis Dickerson <[hidden email]> wrote:
This was similar to the problem I was experiencing with the 3.1.1 install
today.  Solution was (one or more of the following) - exited virus
protection program (not just turning off its firewall and virus detection
programs), turned off all firewalls (Windows, PC-Cillin and the
motherboard's), installed new drivers for motherboard chipset, re-installed
Service Pack 2 for XP - and just to be certain - exited all programs in the
tray.

Dennis

> I just installed 3.2 beta (build 331), choosing Basic + OWL on a Windows
> XP machine and it launches w/out errors.  How are you trying to launch
> Protege?  Are you double-clicking on the executable?
>
> Jennifer
>
> sridevi polavaram wrote:
>
>> I have installed protege on my windows machine choosing just "BASIC+OWL".
>> I already have the Full installation of protege 3.1 that's working fine.
>> When i try to start the 3.2 beta version it says some error message in
>> the console and the application fails to load. I couldn't capture the the
>> entire message but a part of it says as below:
>>
>> Unable to locate the application's 'main' class. The class
>> 'edu.stanford.smi.protege.Application' must be public and have a 'public
>> static void mai(String[])' method. (LAX)
>>

>> What is the problem!!
>> -Thanks
>> Sri

[protege-owl] Re: protege 3.2 beta not starting

Dennis Dickerson
Sridevi,

Are you running any anti-virus software.  I had to force the program to exit (earlier I had tried to turn off its firewall, which also had the effect of turning off the virus protection.  Apparently I needed to completely shut down the program.  As a precaution I also exited everything else that was running in the tray).  In my case, the motherboard chipset had a firewall up, Windows XP had a firewall running and the virus protection program also had a firewall up.  I had to stop all of them.

Of course, I was just installing the current release.  If none of the above works (including re-installing Service Pack 2 if you are running XP), there may be other issues.  It was all very time consuming.

Good Luck !

Dennis