[protege-owl] what is the easy way to upload lots of text data for instances, without entering the data manually?

[protege-owl] what is the easy way to upload lots of text data for instances, without entering the data manually?

Murray, William R
Hi,

I'm entering 350+ spot reports from a tactical simulation into a military ontology in OWL. First, I'm entering the particular units in the mission simulated. Manually, this is taking a while. If I could edit the OWL file in Emacs I could do this much faster. I tried that but Protégé rejected the edited file as corrupt. So that approach does not seem to work.

The spot reports are text strings that I can reformat into XML or any other format easily with EMACs keyboard macros.

So does anyone know what is the best way to read in the 350 spot reports?

Thanks!
          Bill

William R. Murray, Ph.D.
Knowledge Systems Group,
Mathematics & Computing Technology,
Boeing Phantom Works
425-373-2906
425-373-2969 (FAX)

Re: [protege-owl] what is the easy way to upload lots of text data for instances, without entering the data manually?

Steve Wartik
Bill,

I use Emacs to create and edit OWL files, with general success. What
error message is Protégé generating?

I use Emacs's NXML mode. Have you tried it? It provides some validation
and helps you locate errors.

Steve Wartik

Murray, William R wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm entering 350+ spot reports from a tactical simulation into a military ontology in OWL. First, I'm entering the particular units in the mission simulated. Manually, this is taking a while. If I could edit the OWL file in Emacs I could do this much faster. I tried that but Protégé rejected the edited file as corrupt. So that approach does not seem to work.
>
> The spot reports are text strings that I can reformat into XML or any other format easily with EMACs keyboard macros.
>
> So does anyone know what is the best way to read in the 350 spot reports?
>
> Thanks!
>           Bill
>
> William R. Murray, Ph.D.
> Knowledge Systems Group,
> Mathematics & Computing Technology,
> Boeing Phantom Works
> 425-373-2906
> 425-373-2969 (FAX)

Re: [protege-owl] what is the easy way to upload lots of text data for instances, without entering the data manually?

JMiller

I used Emacs and/or vi for years to edit source code, including Java, up until about 3 years ago, when I felt that the IDEs became stable enough and had enough features to make me more productive.  So I switched, and in general, I have not been disappointed.

I am curious--in what ways do you think it is more productive to use Emacs for ontology work, instead of Protege or other GUI-based IDEs?

Jim Miller

Steven Wartik <[hidden email]>
Sent by: [hidden email]

10/16/2006 09:30 PM

Please respond to
User support for the Protege-OWL editor        <[hidden email]>

User support for the Protege-OWL editor <[hidden email]>
cc
Subject

Murray, William R wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm entering 350+ spot reports from a tactical simulation into a military ontology in OWL. First, I'm entering the particular units in the mission simulated. Manually, this is taking a while. If I could edit the OWL file in Emacs I could do this much faster. I tried that but Protégé rejected the edited file as corrupt. So that approach does not seem to work.
>
> The spot reports are text strings that I can reformat into XML or any other format easily with EMACs keyboard macros.
>
> So does anyone know what is the best way to read in the 350 spot reports?
>
> Thanks!
>           Bill
>
> William R. Murray, Ph.D.
> Knowledge Systems Group,
> Mathematics & Computing Technology,
> Boeing Phantom Works
> 425-373-2906
> 425-373-2969 (FAX)

Re: [protege-owl] what is the easy way to upload lots of text data for instances, without entering the data manually?

Steve Wartik
Jim,

I use Emacs when I have to translate information represented in other models -- say, an ER model -- into an OWL-based ontology. Sometimes I deal with a data model that I must convert to classes and properties.  Other times I need to create several hundred individuals out of raw data. In these situations I generally start with a Perl script but find that I need to make some tweaks.

Moreover, part of my job requires me to examine ontologies others have written. I don't think you will be shocked to learn that many extant ontologies are not valid OWL. In fact, I am constantly amazed at the sorts of things I encounter, and wonder how the tools they're using could allow such constructs. Certainly Protégé won't! But I digress. Oftentimes an ontology repeats an error, and Emacs has better global search-and-replace mechanisms than any other tool I've seen.

Don't get me wrong. I use IDEs for most of my editing, including OWL. But Emacs is my back-up tool.

Steve Wartik

James A Miller wrote:

I used Emacs and/or vi for years to edit source code, including Java, up until about 3 years ago, when I felt that the IDEs became stable enough and had enough features to make me more productive.  So I switched, and in general, I have not been disappointed.

I am curious--in what ways do you think it is more productive to use Emacs for ontology work, instead of Protege or other GUI-based IDEs?

Jim Miller

Re: [protege-owl] what is the easy way to upload lots of text datafor instances, without entering the data manually?

Murray, William R
Steve,

Protégé was saying the edited OWL file was corrupt. I was wondering if by editing the OWL file the project file looked at a checksum for it and decided it no longer matched and was corrupt.

But maybe I introduced an error. I'll try your suggestion. I've also had a suggestion to use the XML tab and try the Algernon tab and other scripting approaches.

Thanks to all,