quering an ontology

depi alebaki
Hi list,
I am trying to create an ontology about games in Protege in owl format.
after accomplishing this,
1)I have to make queries to the ontology about similarities among
instances(e.g.i will give football and ask for obtaining other games similar to
football according to the characteristics I gave them)
2)I will give a new game(instance)that doesn't exist in the ontology  with some
characteristics and the database must classify the new game in a specific
category-class.
Doew anyone know if there exists a tool for making this queries or for
classifying a new instance in the existing ontology?

Thanks

Re: quering an ontology

Nick Drummond
Depi,

There have been loads of questions about this.

You can use a reasoner for classifying, or use SPARQL for querying
the asserted graph, but there are many ways - I don't know which
would be considered the best though - have a look at what other
people have been doing [1]

Nick

[1] http://search.gmane.org/search.php?
group=gmane.comp.misc.ontology.protege.owl&query=query

On 6 May 2006, at 11:25, depi alebaki wrote:

> Hi list,
> I am trying to create an ontology about games in Protege in owl
> format.
> after accomplishing this,
> 1)I have to make queries to the ontology about similarities among
> instances(e.g.i will give football and ask for obtaining other
> games similar to
> football according to the characteristics I gave them)
> 2)I will give a new game(instance)that doesn't exist in the
> ontology  with some
> characteristics and the database must classify the new game in a
> specific
> category-class.
> Doew anyone know if there exists a tool for making this queries or for
> classifying a new instance in the existing ontology?
>
> Thanks

Re: quering an ontology

Olivier Dameron
On Tue, 9 May 2006 16:32:12 +0100, Nick Drummond
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> You can use a reasoner for classifying, or use SPARQL for querying
> the asserted graph, but there are many ways - I don't know which
> would be considered the best though - have a look at what other
> people have been doing [1]
>
> Nick
>
> [1] http://search.gmane.org/search.php?
> group=gmane.comp.misc.ontology.protege.owl&query=query

You can also draw inspiration from the wiki[2] and maybe complete it.
Olivier

[2] http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UsageTipsAndTricks