quintuplets?

Wigand-Steinmetz, Lena

Hello everyone,

I am part of a project to create a database, where we would like to store information about a classical music festival. We are thinking about using OWL and protégé for this. Now we are stuck over the question, whether it is possible to write the following expressions in OWL:

Musician A plays instrument B in composition C.

It is important for us to link a musician to an instrument and to a specific composition, because some musicians plays different instruments in different compositions. As far as I understood linked data you always create triples, but in this case we would need to create a quintuplet:

1. musician A, 2. playing an instrument, 3. instrument B, 4. playing in a composition, 5. composition C.

How is it possible to express this kind of relationship in OWL?

Thanks in advance!

Re: quintuplets?

Lorenz Buehmann

n-ary relations in OWL: https://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-n-aryRelations/

to keep it short, introduce some intermediate object/individual, e.g.

:muscianA :plays :play_1 .

:play_1 :instrument :instrumentB .

:play_1 :inComposition :compositionC .

On 10.09.19 09:32, Wigand-Steinmetz, Lena wrote:

[...]

Alex Shkotin
Lena and Lorenz,

just to add: create a class Performance and play_1 as an instance of it.

Alex

вт, 10 сент. 2019 г. в 10:38, Lorenz Buehmann <[hidden email]>:

[...]

Lena, I took a few minutes to create a little example ontology that may help you get started. As you can see, I have classes for Composition, Instrument (with subclasses such as WindInstrument), Musician (with subclass Composer). I created a few individuals: Beethoven, BeethovensNinthSymphony, FrenchHorn, and AlanCivil (at one time a very famous French Horn player). I have properties: usesInstrument (relates a composition to the instruments it uses). playsInstrument (relates an Instrument to all those that play it), etc.

Relating to your example: A is AlanCivil, B is FrenchHorn, C is BeethovensNinthSymphony.

As Lorenz said you can create n-ary relations with OWL but at least so far I haven't really seen the need to model what you want to model. Hope this helps, let me know if you have questions.

Michael

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 12:32 AM Wigand-Steinmetz, Lena <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am part of a project to create a database, where we would like to store information about a classical music festival. We are thinking about using OWL and protégé for this. Now we are stuck over the question, whether it is possible to write the following expressions in OWL:

Musician A plays instrument B in composition C.

It is important for us to link a musician to an instrument and to a specific composition, because some musicians plays different instruments in different compositions. As far as I understood linked data you always create triples, but in this case we would need to create a quintuplet:

1. musician A, 2. playing an instrument, 3. instrument B, 4. playing in a composition, 5. composition C.

How is it possible to express this kind of relationship in OWL?

Thanks in advance!

MusicOntology.owl (13K) Download Attachment

Re: quintuplets?

Wigand-Steinmetz, Lena

Thank you very much, I’m sure this is going to help!