"Intelligent" support for ontology merging/mapping?!

"Intelligent" support for ontology merging/mapping?!

Nick89
Hey,

I'm new to Protege, but i already have a certain problem.

I have two differently structured ontologies and i want to merge/map them together.

Yes - I'm aware that there is the functionality Refactor > Merge. But all that gives it to me is just writing both ontology trees one under the other.

What I want is a programme intelligence telling me: "Hey, there is already a concept called 'Laptops Dell'. Do you want to transfer this concept to the other one?".

Or: "Hey, there is already a concept called 'Accessories', but the subclasses are different. Should the concept be transferred by giving you the possibility to choose one subclass as a superior class of the other subclass?"

I read about this PROMPT plug-in, but I also read that it's not supported by Protege 5.2.0 anymore.

Thanks for any help!

Greetz
Nick

Re: "Intelligent" support for ontology merging/mapping?!

Rafael Gonçalves
Hi Nick,

Rather than ‘merge’ functionality, you should look into ontology alignment tools and techniques (see http://ontologymatching.org/). Hopefully someone on the mailing list can provide you with more specific pointers or experiences with such tools. I’m not aware of any ontology alignment plugin for Protege 5.

Cheers,
Rafael

<http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/file/n4668941/Ontology_mapping.png>

[...]

Hey Rafael,

appreciating your reply. At least I know that I gotta search somewhere else.
I'll check out your provided link.

Thank you!