rdfs:label & skos:prefLabel

Peter Chan
Hi,

I am wondering if I have already used skos:prefLabel, do I have to use rdfs:label?

Thanks,

Peter

--
Peter Chan
Digital Archivist

Re: rdfs:label & skos:prefLabel

Joshua TAYLOR
On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 5:12 PM, Peter Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am wondering if I have already used skos:prefLabel, do I have to use
> rdfs:label?

What do you mean by "have to use"?  There's no "requirement" to use
any particular annotations…

--
Joshua Taylor, http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~tayloj/

Re: rdfs:label & skos:prefLabel

Peter Chan
When I create the label for a "class" or an "individual", rdfs:label is the default annotation in WebProtege. When I create a SKOS in WebProtege, can I use skos:prefLabel and skip rdfs:label?

Thanks,

Peter

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 5:12 PM, Peter Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am wondering if I have already used skos:prefLabel, do I have to use
> rdfs:label?

What do you mean by "have to use"?  There's no "requirement" to use
any particular annotations…

--
Joshua Taylor, http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~tayloj/

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 5:12 PM, Peter Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am wondering if I have already used skos:prefLabel, do I have to use
> rdfs:label?

What do you mean by "have to use"?  There's no "requirement" to use
any particular annotations…

--
Joshua Taylor, http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~tayloj/

Re: rdfs:label & skos:prefLabel

Peter Chan
Thanks, Matthew.

On second thought, I am wondering if there is any advantage of adding skos:prefLabel to  rdfs:label.

Peter

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 5:12 PM, Peter Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am wondering if I have already used skos:prefLabel, do I have to use
> rdfs:label?

What do you mean by "have to use"?  There's no "requirement" to use
any particular annotations…

--
Joshua Taylor, http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~tayloj/

Re: rdfs:label & skos:prefLabel

Pete Rivett

But since skos:prefLabel is a subproperty of rdfs:label then why will WebProtege when attempting to display rdfs:label not pick up any triples using skos:prefLabel (or, come to mention it, skos:altLabel)?

Pete

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 5:12 PM, Peter Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am wondering if I have already used skos:prefLabel, do I have to use
> rdfs:label?

What do you mean by "have to use"?  There's no "requirement" to use
any particular annotations…

--
Joshua Taylor, http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~tayloj/

Re: rdfs:label & skos:prefLabel

Hi Pete,

Because, it currently doesn’t do any reasoning that would make this possible.

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 5:12 PM, Peter Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am wondering if I have already used skos:prefLabel, do I have to use
> rdfs:label?

What do you mean by "have to use"?  There's no "requirement" to use
any particular annotations…

--
Joshua Taylor, http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~tayloj/

Re: rdfs:label & skos:prefLabel

Steve Wartik

Peter,

I think the answer to your question is: Only if you anticipate your ontology will be accessed by tools that expect SKOS concepts.

Regards,

Steve Wartik

On second thought, I am wondering if there is any advantage of adding skos:prefLabel to  rdfs:label.

Peter

Re: rdfs:label & skos:prefLabel

Peter Chan
Hi Steve,

If I expect my ontology to be accessed by tools that expect SKOS concepts, I should  also skos:boarder, skos:narrower. skos:hasTopConcept, etc. inaddition to skos:prefLabel. Is that correct?

Peter

I think the answer to your question is: Only if you anticipate your ontology will be accessed by tools that expect SKOS concepts.

Regards,

Steve Wartik

On second thought, I am wondering if there is any advantage of adding skos:prefLabel to  rdfs:label.

Peter

Re: rdfs:label & skos:prefLabel

Steve Wartik

Peter,

I wouldn’t say that’s true. skos:prefLabel is an annotation property. OWL reasoners will ignore assertions involving it. skos:broader and skos:narrower are object properties, so assertions involving them contribute to the semantics of your ontology. They have uses independent of non-reasoning applications.

skos:prefLabel is (in my opinion) useful in two circumstances:

1.      It communicates *to humans* which of a set of labels is the preferred one.

2.      It lets SKOS-aware tools select from a set of labels when choosing one to display.

I don’t think there currently exist very many SKOS-aware tools [1]. Protégé isn’t one of them. That would mean #1 is your primary reason right now to use skos:prefLabel.

As for SKOS concepts that are OWL object properties, I don’t think there are many tools that reason, independent of description logics, about assertion involving these properties. If you believe your ontology or knowledge base would benefit from broader/narrower relationship assertions, by all means make them, and let one of the OWL reasoners deduce what it can.

Regards,

Steve Wartik

[1] See http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/reference/20090315/implementation.html.

If I expect my ontology to be accessed by tools that expect SKOS concepts, I should  also skos:boarder, skos:narrower. skos:hasTopConcept, etc. inaddition to skos:prefLabel. Is that correct?

Peter

I think the answer to your question is: Only if you anticipate your ontology will be accessed by tools that expect SKOS concepts.

Regards,

Steve Wartik

On second thought, I am wondering if there is any advantage of adding skos:prefLabel to  rdfs:label.

Peter

Re: rdfs:label & skos:prefLabel

Peter Chan
Thanks Steve.