render by rdfs:label and language preferences

render by rdfs:label and language preferences

Melanie Courtot-2
Hi,

First, thanks for adding the menu View > render by rdfs:label - that
will definitively be very helpful!

A small feature request: if I start with a fresh Protege install, my
language preferences are not set. Activating the rendering by label
doesn't do anything, as my label are defined using xml lang="en".
Would it be possible to maybe start with a default language preference
set? Adding the values "en, , !" in the Set language input field in
the annotation renderer seems to cover all my cases for example.

Thanks,
Melanie

---
Mélanie Courtot
MSFHR/PCIRN trainee, TFL- BCCRC
675 West 10th Avenue
Vancouver, BC
V5Z 1L3, Canada

Re: render by rdfs:label and language preferences

Timothy Redmond

First, thanks for adding the menu View > render by rdfs:label - that will definitively be very helpful!

I am glad that it will help.  I actually really like this feature but my use of Protege is a little different than that of people actually building ontologies.

A small feature request: if I start with a fresh Protege install, my language preferences are not set. Activating the rendering by label doesn't do anything, as my label are defined using xml lang="en". Would it be possible to maybe start with a default language preference set? Adding the values "en, , !" in the Set language input field in the annotation renderer seems to cover all my cases for example.

How should this work?  The current behavior (since something like build 221) should be that a new Protege user who hasn't used Protege before will get what I hope are reasonable language settings.  I just tried this out on a friend who has a computer configured for Germany and his first time settings became

de, de-AT, !, en

(AT is Austria which was the right thing.  Also I would have to check - but I am not sure that the empty string does anything anymore.)  If I simulate a first time user of an american computer by destroying my preferences, then my first time settings become

en, en-US, !

What I believe happened in your case (?) is that you inherited the preferences that you had when you previously used Protege.  But I am a little confused by this because you are an experienced Protege user.  I would have expected that your language settings would have been correctly configured.

Is there something I missed here?  Could there be an interaction with OBI-Protege?

If there is some unexpected interaction with earlier versions of Protege I could simply change the preferences property.  This would effectively - with regards to this issue - make us all first time users of Protege.  Some experienced users would lose their settings but hopefully they would know what to do.  It would also prevent unwelcome interactions when users go back and forth between versions.

-Timothy

On 05/25/2011 02:34 PM, Melanie Courtot wrote:
[...]

We have another interesting use case that is relevant to the mystery of what happened with your settings.  I was at the terminal with another experienced Protege user.  To my surprise the language settings were empty.  The language settings had never been set.  We then installed and ran the latest Protege release candidate.  When, we went to the language settings dialog, Protege 4.1 rc4 had set the language settings to

en, en-US, !
The language settings had been set to reasonable values.

I am wondering if there is the possibility of a bug in Protege 4 that somehow misreads existing settings for some people.

Another possibility regarding the language settings is that we make them more obvious so that users will more easily configure them.

[...]

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the feedback. I am sure the rendering option will help a
lot - as you know we are using numerical identifiers and we had a lot
of questions regarding how to activate the display by label when using
previous versions of Protege.
As I was unable to start any of the RC version of Protege - well I can
start it, but as soon as I try and load any file I bump into the Fact+
+ library issue described at http://code.google.com/p/factplusplus/issues/detail?id=32
  - I was still using the latest beta (build 220)

I just downloaded the RC4 and manually replaced the fact++ library
with the 1.5.1 version. After resetting my preferences (I really love
the extra "more actions"  button on the front window, thanks for
adding this!) I see the behavior you describe.

Re using the empty string, for some reason, if I add this to my
preferences my default font for class hierarchy changes :) (which is
part of the reason I decided to reset my settings - see the 2
screenshots attached)

Thanks,
Melanie

On 25-May-11, at 4:10 PM, Timothy Redmond wrote:

> We have another interesting use case that is relevant to the mystery
> of what happened with your settings.  I was at the terminal with
> another experienced Protege user.  To my surprise the language
> settings were empty.  The language settings had never been set.  We
> then installed and ran the latest Protege release candidate.  When,
> we went to the language settings dialog, Protege 4.1 rc4 had set the
> language settings to
>
> en, en-US, !
> The language settings had been set to reasonable values.
>
> I am wondering if there is the possibility of a bug in Protege 4
> that somehow misreads existing settings for some people.
>
> Another possibility regarding the language settings is that we make
> them more obvious so that users will more easily configure them.
>
> -Timothy.
>

> On 05/25/2011 02:34 PM, Melanie Courtot wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> First, thanks for adding the menu View > render by rdfs:label -
>> that will definitively be very helpful!
>>
>> A small feature request: if I start with a fresh Protege install,
>> my language preferences are not set. Activating the rendering by
>> label doesn't do anything, as my label are defined using xml
>> lang="en". Would it be possible to maybe start with a default
>> language preference set? Adding the values "en, , !" in the Set
>> language input field in the annotation renderer seems to cover all
>> my cases for example.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Melanie
>>
>> ---
>> Mélanie Courtot
>> MSFHR/PCIRN trainee, TFL- BCCRC
>> 675 West 10th Avenue
>> Vancouver, BC
>> V5Z 1L3, Canada

---
Mélanie Courtot
MSFHR/PCIRN trainee, TFL- BCCRC
675 West 10th Avenue
Vancouver, BC
V5Z 1L3, Canada

nowhitespace.png (51K) Download Attachment
withwhitespace.png (50K) Download Attachment

Re: render by rdfs:label and language preferences

Tania Tudorache
Hi Melanie,

Thank you very much for the feedback! Tim asked me to watch this thread as he is traveling for two weeks and he has no email access.

I understand from your email that using the latest release candidate had the right behavior. That is good news :) The empty string changing the font is weird, we'll look into it.

Thank you,
Tania

On 05/26/2011 09:48 AM, Melanie Courtot wrote:
[...]

Alan Ruttenberg-2
The choice is great. The default is surprising. I' still confused as
to why the default isn't to use rdfs:label - won't it fall back to the
current behavior if there are no labels. Are there any situations
where developers provide labels but don't want them displayed in
protege?

Btw, for the alternative it would not be correct to either call it
"name" or rdf:id. First, rdf:id is an element of syntax not present in
many serializations and not even necessary for rdfxml. second, the
values of RDF:id are constrained syntactically so that even if you
wanted to use it for some Uris you couldn't.

Name isn't correct because it doesn't match the normal sense of the
term, and it is not used in a technical sense in the specs. A better
word would be "fragment id", as this is how it is referred to in the
specs.  Also note that not all Uris even have fragment ids - only ones
that have "#" in then. If you display something for Uris that don't
use "#" then you might call it "uri suffix".

-Alan

-Alan

On Thursday, May 26, 2011, Tania Tudorache <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>           rendering by label doesn't do anything, as my label are
>           defined using xml lang="en". Would it be possible to maybe
>           start with a default language preference set? Adding the
>           values "en, , !" in the Set language input field in the
>           annotation renderer seems to cover all my cases for example.
>

>           Thanks,
>
>           Melanie
>

>           ---
>
>           Mélanie Courtot
>
>           MSFHR/PCIRN trainee, TFL- BCCRC
>
>           675 West 10th Avenue
>
>           Vancouver, BC
>
>           V5Z 1L3, Canada

>       ---
>
>       Mélanie Courtot
>
>       MSFHR/PCIRN trainee, TFL- BCCRC
>
>       675 West 10th Avenue
>
>       Vancouver, BC
>
>       V5Z 1L3, Canada

Re: render by rdfs:label and language preferences

One more quick question about the weird font.

On 05/26/2011 09:48 AM, Melanie Courtot wrote:

Re using the empty string, for some reason, if I add this to my preferences my default font for class hierarchy changes :) (which is part of the reason I decided to reset my settings - see the 2 screenshots attached)

I tried to reproduce this situation in Protege 4 RC, but was not able to. Can you consistently reproduce it? If yes, could you please tell me the steps?

Thanks!
Tania

[...]

Hi Tania,

Thanks for checking that out - it is not a huge problem, it is just somewhat strange behaviour :)

I upgraded my system from 10.5.8 to 10.6.7 this weekend, and still reproduce this consistently. Maybe it is MacOS specific? I am using Protege 4.1.0 build 231.

Steps:
- open Protege, open one OWL file.
- go to View, custom rendering, renderer tab
- under "entity rendering" menu, click on configure button
- add an empty space in the pre-set language string: "en, en-US, !" becomes "en, , en-US, !" for example (it doesn't seem to matter if you put the space at the end, middle or end of the preferences)

If I reset my settings the font goes back to normal at next Protege start.

Thanks,
Melanie

On 2011-05-26, at 4:45 PM, Tania Tudorache wrote:

> Hi Melanie,
>
> One more quick question about the weird font.
>
> On 05/26/2011 09:48 AM, Melanie Courtot wrote:
>>
>> Re using the empty string, for some reason, if I add this to my preferences my default font for class hierarchy changes :) (which is part of the reason I decided to reset my settings - see the 2 screenshots attached)
>>

> I tried to reproduce this situation in Protege 4 RC, but was not able to. Can you consistently reproduce it? If yes, could you please tell me the steps?
>
> Thanks!
> Tania
>
>> Thanks,
>> Melanie
>>

>> On 25-May-11, at 4:10 PM, Timothy Redmond wrote:
>>

>>> We have another interesting use case that is relevant to the mystery of what happened with your settings.  I was at the terminal with another experienced Protege user.  To my surprise the language settings were empty.  The language settings had never been set.  We then installed and ran the latest Protege release candidate.  When, we went to the language settings dialog, Protege 4.1 rc4 had set the language settings to
>>>
>>> en, en-US, !
>>> The language settings had been set to reasonable values.
>>>
>>> I am wondering if there is the possibility of a bug in Protege 4 that somehow misreads existing settings for some people.
>>>
>>> Another possibility regarding the language settings is that we make them more obvious so that users will more easily configure them.
>>>
>>> -Timothy.

>> ---
>> Mélanie Courtot
>> MSFHR/PCIRN trainee, TFL- BCCRC
>> 675 West 10th Avenue
>> Vancouver, BC
>> V5Z 1L3, Canada

---
Mélanie Courtot
MSFHR/PCIRN trainee, TFL- BCCRC
675 West 10th Avenue
Vancouver, BC
V5Z 1L3, Canada

Re: render by rdfs:label and language preferences

Tania Tudorache
Hi Melanie,

Thanks a lot for sending the steps. I cannot reproduce it on a PC, so we
will try it out on a MacOS. You should not need to reset all your
preferences if the font gets scrambled. You should be able to reset only
the font using the "Reset font" button from the View menu -> Custom
rendering .. -> Renderer tab (Font panel).

I also added a Gforge item for this issue.

Thank you,
Tania