saving and editing import ontologies

Varanka, Dalia
Greetings
Where or how can I learn more about saving import ontologies that I've modified?   When I try to save, I get a message similar to 'ontologies have changed, do you want to save?'   I don't know the consequences of either option, yes or no. I've tried both but don't get anything I expected, and the results have sometimes been bad for me.
To ensure that my changes are saved without losing the original ontology, should I merge ontologies?
thanks
Dalia

--
Dalia Varanka
U.S. Geological Survey

Tel. 573.308.3897
ORCID: 0000-0003-2857-9600

Re: saving and editing import ontologies

samsontu
Hi,

Can you be more specific about the Protege version and the problem you are encountering? I am not aware of specific documentation about saving import ontologies. This mailing list is probably the best place to have your questions answered.

You can save a changed ontology to a place in the file system where you have write privilege. In what ways is Protege’s behavior different from what you expect?

If you make changes to an ontology, in what way do you want to save changes “without losing the original ontology?” In general, an ontology is a piece of software and you should be using a version-control system like git to manage versions.  A version control system allows you to save changes and still have the original ontology accessible in some way.

With best regards,
Samson