slow load

Edwin A Pell

It is taking 7+ hours to load the openCYC ontology. Is there a way to speed loading?

Ed

Re: slow load

Tania Tudorache
Protege is either running out of memory or it is timing out on some import.

You need to increase the heap size available to Protege, which is specified in the -Xmx java argument when Protege is starting.

Which operating system do you have? (just to send you specific instructions on increasing the heap size)

I wanted to try it out myself, but it seems opencyc is not publicly available anymore since early 2017, so I couldn't get a dump.

Tania

It is taking 7+ hours to load the openCYC ontology. Is there a way to speed loading?

Ed

Re: slow load

Csongor Nyulas
Hi Ed,

The most probable reason for slowness is that you did not give enough memory to Protege and Java is garbage collecting all the time, or your machine doesn't have enough RAM and it is swapping to the disk all the time.

Try adjusting the available memory to Protege.

Check out these past related posts to our mailing list:
http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/Opencyc-Knowledgebase-loading-problem-td4666375.html
http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/OpenCyc-and-Wordnet-td623971.html
http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/Protege-and-OpenCyc-OWL-td4667729.html

Csongor