trouble downloading Protege to Mac

Lee Cohen
After I download protege 4.3 for mac OS X 10.9.1 on my new MacBook Pro, and tried to open it, I got a message:

Install_Protege_4.3 is damaged and can’t be opened. Stuffit does not seem to help either.

i am new to the Mac world.  Any suggestions?

Thanks
Lee Cohen

Re: trouble downloading Protege to Mac

Jennifer Vendetti
Administrator
Hi Lee,

This is a misleading error message that the Mac will display if you've
downloaded an application that's not from an "identified developer".
Protege doesn't carry "identified developer" status. You need to modify
your Gatekeeper settings to successfully download and install. A more
complete explanation and instructions for configuring Gatekeeper are
available in this thread in the mailing list archive:

http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/Protege-4-3-for-OSX-damaged-td4659590.html

Jennifer

On 2/25/2014 9:16 AM, Lee Cohen wrote:

> After I download protege 4.3 for mac OS X 10.9.1 on my new MacBook Pro, and tried to open it, I got a message:
>
> Install_Protege_4.3 is damaged and can’t be opened. Stuffit does not seem to help either.
>
> i am new to the Mac world.  Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks
> Lee Cohen

Re: trouble downloading Protege to Mac

Nityantoro
Hi Lee and Jennifer,

It might be a lil'bit risky if you change the gatekeeper setting. Why not trying to right click it and click "open" instead of double click it. A new dialog window will open and ask you if you sure that you want to run this file, just choose run/yes. Just a suggestion, hope that's help :)

Eko

> On 25.02.2014, at 20:01, Jennifer Vendetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Lee,
>
> This is a misleading error message that the Mac will display if you've downloaded an application that's not from an "identified developer".  Protege doesn't carry "identified developer" status. You need to modify your Gatekeeper settings to successfully download and install. A more complete explanation and instructions for configuring Gatekeeper are available in this thread in the mailing list archive:
>
> http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/Protege-4-3-for-OSX-damaged-td4659590.html
>
> Jennifer
>

>> On 2/25/2014 9:16 AM, Lee Cohen wrote:
>> After I download protege 4.3 for mac OS X 10.9.1 on my new MacBook Pro, and tried to open it, I got a message:
>>
>> Install_Protege_4.3 is damaged and can’t be opened. Stuffit does not seem to help either.
>>
>> i am new to the Mac world.  Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Lee Cohen

losing info in saved files on Mac

Lee Cohen
Jennifer,
Thanks for the direction.  I now have Protege working on the Mac, but another problem showed up.  When I save an ontology onto my desktop, and then try to open it again, my work is lost.  Sometimes I can get saved work using  a direct import, where I get a "resolve missing import" error window - if I say "no" to resolve the missing import, it does seem to get loaded as an "indirect import" with some obscure reference "untitled-Ontology-9" in the direct import slot.
What does all this mean? How do I save my work properly and reload it reliably?
By the way, I don't see any PPRJ files in my directories. Should I?
Is there a reference you can point me to?
Thanks
Lee

Lee Cohen
(703) 609-9108
[hidden email]

This is a misleading error message that the Mac will display if you've
downloaded an application that's not from an "identified developer".
Protege doesn't carry "identified developer" status. You need to modify
your Gatekeeper settings to successfully download and install. A more
complete explanation and instructions for configuring Gatekeeper are
available in this thread in the mailing list archive:

http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/Protege-4-3-for-OSX-damaged-td4659590.html

Jennifer

On 2/25/2014 9:16 AM, Lee Cohen wrote:
> After I download protege 4.3 for mac OS X 10.9.1 on my new MacBook Pro, and
tried to open it, I got a message:

> Install_Protege_4.3 is damaged and can’t be opened. Stuffit does not seem to
help either.

> i am new to the Mac world.  Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks
> Lee Cohen

Re: trouble downloading Protege to Mac

Jennifer Vendetti
Hello Eko,

On Feb 25, 2014, at 12:31 PM, Eko Nityantoro <[hidden email]> wrote:

It might be a lil'bit risky if you change the gatekeeper setting. Why not trying to right click it and click "open" instead of double click it. A new dialog window will open and ask you if you sure that you want to run this file, just choose run/yes.

Thanks for your input, but this doesn’t work for me.  I tested right-clicking on install_protege_4.3 in Finder and choosing Open from the context menu, but I’m still presented with the “damaged” dialog:

I’m using OS X 10.9.1.  It’s not until I adjust Gatekeeper settings that I can successfully run the installer program.  I don’t normally work on a Mac, so perhaps I’m missing something that a more experienced Mac user could point out.

Jennifer