use of external resources in OWL DL

POPESCU Adrian 211643 Thésard
Hello,

Sorry if this question has already appeared but I do not currently have access to the mailing list archive as the server is under maintenance.

I am new with Protégé and I am currently trying to build an ontology
that is linked to external resources (used only in the asserted
ontology). I am trying to link some external URIs as RDF Untyped
Resources(as described in
http://protege.stanford.edu/plugins/owl/api/guide.html). As I don't want
to use Jena to create the code, I create a new empty project in Protégé
and replace, in the OWL file, the part between <rdf> and </rdf>
with what is given as example in the user guide. That is :

    <rdf:RDF
      xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#"
      xmlns:owl="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#"
      xmlns="http://www.owl-ontologies.com/unnamed.owl#"
      xml:base="http://www.owl-ontologies.com/unnamed.owl">
      <owl:Ontology rdf:about=""/>
      <owl:Class rdf:ID="Person"/>
      <rdf:Property rdf:ID="hasImage"/>
      <Person rdf:ID="Darwin">
        <hasImage rdf:resource="http://www.knublauch.com/darwin/Darwin-Feeding-Smiling.jpg"/>
      </Person>
    </rdf:RDF>
When I open the project with Protégé, the line
<hasImage rdf:resource="http://www.knublauch.com/darwin/Darwin-Feeding-Smiling.jpg"/>
is interpreted as : <hasImage/>
Can anyone tell me why the external resource is not considered?
Is there any other way to link external resources in OWL ontologies?
Thanks,
Adrian

Re: use of external resources in OWL DL

Nick Drummond
Adrian,

This is just a display issue - the individual has nowhere to display
the property value.
- Select Darwin
- "Add property widget to form..." (the plus button on the top right).
- Select the hasImage property
The value will now be visible.

Alternatively, download the DL Individuals Tab [1]

Nick

[1] http://www.co-ode.org/downloads/owldlindividualstab/co-ode-index.php