using Ontoclean in Protege

Vbertaud

Hello,

I built an ontology of diagnostic imaging findings with Protege.

Now, I need to evaluate my ontology.

I would like to use Ontoclean but I don't understand how to use Ontoclean in Protege.

I have already read:
The Ontoclean Ontology at http://protege.stanford.edu/ontologies/ontoClean/ontoCleanOntology.html
The Ontoclean Tutorial at http://www.cs.vassar.edu/faculty/welty/aaai-2000/

In the Tutorial, I understood that metaproperties (I, O, U, D, R) have to be assigned to each class. I don't find how to do this in Protege.

Then, the metaproperties have to be analyzed in order to check and reclassify the taxonomy: is this processed automatically in Protege?

Thank you in advance if someone can help me

Best Regards

Valerie

Dr Valérie BERTAUD
Chirurgien-Dentiste
Ancienne Assistante Hospitalo-Universitaire de la Faculté Dentaire de Rennes
Attaché Hospitalier
Doctorante en Informatique Médicale

[hidden email]
06-76-66-28-62

Re: using Ontoclean in Protege

Laurent Prevot
Hi Valerie,

In case you are using a Protege ontology, make sure you followed the
instructions (for which step do you encounter difficulties?):

 From the website:
"

    * Make sure you have installed the PAL Constraints tab
      <http://protege.stanford.edu/plugins/paltabs/PAL_tabs.html>
    * Include
      <http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/users_guide/projects/including_a_project.html>
      the OntoClean ontology in your project
    * Change the metaclass of your top-level classes
      <http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/users_guide/classes/metaclasses/change_meta.html>
      and their subclasses
      <http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/users_guide/classes/metaclasses/change_meta_sub.html>
      to "OntoClean property." If you know that your class is a type, a
      quasi-type, a phased sortal, etc., you can change its metaclass to
      any of these more specific subclasses of "OntoClean property."
      Then some of the values for metaproperties will be set automatically.
    * Set appropriate values for meta-properties for your classes
    * Use the PAL Constraints tab to verify your constraints"

In case you are using Protege-OWL or just to have more updated info, check:

 http://www.ontoclean.org/

 It includes an OWL version of ontoclean.

 Bonne chance!

Laurent.

> Hello,
>
> I built an ontology of diagnostic imaging findings with Protege.
>
> Now, I need to evaluate my ontology.
>
> I would like to use Ontoclean but I don't understand how to use Ontoclean in Protege.
>
> I have already read:
> The Ontoclean Ontology at http://protege.stanford.edu/ontologies/ontoClean/ontoCleanOntology.html
> The Ontoclean Tutorial at http://www.cs.vassar.edu/faculty/welty/aaai-2000/
>
> In the Tutorial, I understood that metaproperties (I, O, U, D, R) have to be assigned to each class. I don't find how to do this in Protege.
>
> Then, the metaproperties have to be analyzed in order to check and reclassify the taxonomy: is this processed automatically in Protege?
>
> Thank you in advance if someone can help me
>
> Best Regards
>
> Valerie

> Dr Valérie BERTAUD
> Chirurgien-Dentiste
> Ancienne Assistante Hospitalo-Universitaire de la Faculté Dentaire de Rennes
> Attaché Hospitalier
> Doctorante en Informatique Médicale
>
> [hidden email]
> 06-76-66-28-62

Laurent Prevot.
Post-Doc Research Fellow.
Institute of Linguistics, Academia Sinica
Nankang, Taipei, Taiwan 115

Re : using Ontoclean in Protege

Vbertaud
Thank you Laurent  for your clear advise. But I still don't manage to assign metaproperties to my classes.

My Protege ontology is in owl.

Step 1: I have installed the PAL Constraint Tab (Project menu, Configure)

Step 2: I included the Ontoclean Ontology in my project. There is no "Include" option in the "Project Menu" as stated in  <http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/users_guide/projects/including_a_project.html>. I used the "Import Ontology" option in the Metadata tab. I imported the ontoclean owl ontology (ontoclean-dl-v1.owl) in my ontology.

Step 3: I don't manage to change the metaclass of my top-level classes because there is no "Change Metaclass of class" option in the menu. As explaned in http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/users_guide/classes/metaclasses/change_meta.html>, there should be an option "Change Metaclass".
This option does exist when using a protege frame ontology.

I wonder if Ontoclean can be used in a Protege OWL Ontology.

-----E-mail d'origine-----
De : [hidden email]
A : [hidden email]
Envoyé le : Jeu 5 Oct 2006 11:48
Sujet : Re: [protege-discussion] using Ontoclean in Protege

Hi Valerie,

In case you are using a Protege ontology, make sure you followed the
instructions (for which step do you encounter difficulties?):

 From the website:
"

    * Make sure you have installed the PAL Constraints tab
      <http://protege.stanford.edu/plugins/paltabs/PAL_tabs.html>
    * Include
      <http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/users_guide/projects/including_a_project.html>
      the OntoClean ontology in your project
    * Change the metaclass of your top-level classes
      <http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/users_guide/classes/metaclasses/change_meta.html>
      and their subclasses
      <http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/users_guide/classes/metaclasses/change_meta_sub.html>
      to "OntoClean property." If you know that your class is a type, a
      quasi-type, a phased sortal, etc., you can change its metaclass to
      any of these more specific subclasses of "OntoClean property."
      Then some of the values for metaproperties will be set automatically.
    * Set appropriate values for meta-properties for your classes
    * Use the PAL Constraints tab to verify your constraints"

In case you are using Protege-OWL or just to have more updated info, check:

 http://www.ontoclean.org/

 It includes an OWL version of ontoclean.

 Bonne chance!

Laurent.

> Hello,
>
> I built an ontology of diagnostic imaging findings with Protege.
>
> Now, I need to evaluate my ontology.
>
> I would like to use Ontoclean but I don't understand how to use Ontoclean in
Protege.

> I have already read:
> The Ontoclean Ontology at http://protege.stanford.edu/ontologies/ontoClean/ontoCleanOntology.html
> The Ontoclean Tutorial at http://www.cs.vassar.edu/faculty/welty/aaai-2000/
>
> In the Tutorial, I understood that metaproperties (I, O, U, D, R) have to be
assigned to each class. I don't find how to do this in Protege.

> Then, the metaproperties have to be analyzed in order to check and reclassify
the taxonomy: is this processed automatically in Protege?

> Thank you in advance if someone can help me
>
> Best Regards
>
> Valerie

> Dr Valérie BERTAUD
> Chirurgien-Dentiste
> Ancienne Assistante Hospitalo-Universitaire de la Faculté Dentaire de Rennes
> Attaché Hospitalier
> Doctorante en Informatique Médicale
>
> [hidden email]
> 06-76-66-28-62

Laurent Prevot.
Post-Doc Research Fellow.
Institute of Linguistics, Academia Sinica
Nankang, Taipei, Taiwan 115

I managed to use Ontoclean in a Protege owl ontology

Vbertaud
 To everyone who wants to use Ontoclean in a Protege owl ontology:

You shall follow the steps explained at http://protege.stanford.edu/ontologies/ontoClean/ontoCleanOntology.html

You need to "display hidden classes" in order to be able to change the metaclasses of your classes : in the  "Project" menu, "Configure" Option. Choose "Options tab" in the dialog box and set "Display hidden frames".

I hope this will help someone...

Best Regards

Valerie