using rdf:XMLLiteral as datatype property range

using rdf:XMLLiteral as datatype property range

Hong Zhang-3

Hi,

We are experimenting Protégé as an object modeling tool. We need to use rdf:XMLLiteral as a primitive data type.

According to the OWL spec, http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-ref/#Datatype, rdf:XMLLiteral should be allowed as type for datatype properties. However, in Protégé 4 beta, this type is not listed in the “Built in datatypes” dialog. Is there anyway to add rdf:XMLLiteral to the list so it can be used as the range of datatype properties?

Thanks

-Hong

Re: using rdf:XMLLiteral as datatype property range

Bijan Parsia-3
On 11 Sep 2008, at 15:56, Nick Drummond wrote:

> Fixed

Urhmm...is this a good idea?

> On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 7:55 PM, Hong Zhang <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are experimenting Protégé as an object modeling tool. We need to
> use rdf:XMLLiteral as a primitive data type.
>
> According to the OWL spec,

The reference is not a spec.

> http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-ref/#Datatype,

However, the spec does agree:
       http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-semantics/syntax.html#2.1

> rdf:XMLLiteral should be allowed as type for datatype properties.

The question is whether we can *do* anything with this type.

It's already a weird thing because RDF requires canonicalization.

I sincerely doubt any reasoners do anything interesting with it. If
they try to adhere to the RDF spec, they will do things you almost
certainly don't want :( I'm  not sure any of the validators even
check for well formedness (other than in virtue of the document being
well formed which, if you aren't using an XML parent syntax, won't
help).
> However, in Protégé 4 beta, this type is not listed in the "Built
> in datatypes" dialog. Is there anyway to add rdf:XMLLiteral to the
> list so it can be used as the range of datatype properties?

xsd:string might work better :( It depends on what you expect and want.

Cheers,
Bijan.

FW: using rdf:XMLLiteral as datatype property range

Hong Zhang-3

Thanks much for the quick fix. When this fix will be released? Or I need to get the source code and build myself?

-Hong