web protege - inheritance of properties

Clarissa Feio
Hello,

Could you explain to me how I can have properties being inherited in webprotege?

In Protege desktop you can just say that a class is a parent of another class and then add a property mediating it.

However, in Webprotege the only way I can add properties is in the relationships section, and in there properties don;t get inherited.

Can you help?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Clarissa.

--

Hello. This email is only for the person it’s addressed to. However, if this email wasn’t addressed to you and you are reading it, then this notice is for you, so please read on. Please delete this email, including its contents and attachments from all of your devices and cloud services and let the sender know. Also, you may not use, rely on or benefit from the information contained in this email in any way and must treat it confidentially. Thank you.

Re: web protege - inheritance of properties

samsontu
Hi,

“inherited property” is not a concept in OWL. It’s not clear what is meant by “you can just say that a class is a parent of another class and then add a property mediating it.” If you can explain in detail, perhaps with an example, others may be able to help.

With best regards,
Samson

On Jan 27, 2020, at 3:09 AM, Clarissa Feio <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

smime.p7s (1K) Download Attachment

Re: web protege - inheritance of properties

Michael DeBellis-2
Clarissa, just to add to what Samson said: if by inheritance of properties you mean making one property a sub-property of another that can be done in Web Protege. First select the Properties tab. Then select the property that you want to be the super-property. Then just click the little icon with a box and a + sign that says "Create" when you hover over it. You will be prompted to give the name of the new property and it will be a sub-property of the property you selected. See the image below where in Web Protege I selected the hasCar property and created hasSportsCar sub property. You probably know this but it can be a source of confusion for some new users: properties in OWL are different than in standard object-oriented languages. So a sub property is essentially a subset of the super property.  E.g., if someone owns a sports car then they always own a car but some people may own a car but not own a sports car.

Hope that helps. Let us know if that isn't what you wanted to do or you have more questions.

SubPropertyExample.PNG

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 8:52 AM Samson Tu <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dear Samson,

Thank you so much, I apologise if I was not clear.

In Desktop Protege, when you add a subclass, you are able to add an object restriction, as you can see below:

3.png

These object restrictions are 'inherited' from a class to its narrower terms. If you see the screenshot below, you have the environmental ontology. You will be able to see the class 'environmental material' and there are a couple of relationships there.

1.png

All the narrower terms of 'environmental material' inherit these relationships (see below).

2.png

If I upload this ontology into web protege, all these relationships disappear, as you can see below. Why is this?

Screenshot 2020-02-07 at 14.34.37.png

I would like to be able to add relations that are passed down from a class to its narrower terms in web protege, in the same way that I can do it in desktop protege.

I hope this time the question makes more sense?

Kind regards,
Clarissa.

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 4:52 PM Samson Tu <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Web Protege, by design, has a simplified default user interface that hides the complexities of an ontology. The way to see a view similar to what you get in the desktop Protege is to open the “OWL Classes” tab in Web Protege. (In the far right corner of the Web Protege UI, you should find an “Add tab” button.) Here is an example of what you may see in the OWL Classes tab:

The default “Classes” tab shows a much simplified view:

If you need to write complex OWL axioms, you may be better off using the desktop Protege, unless you need to use some specific Web Protege features, such as collaborative editing (especially given that Web Protege doesn’t support DL reasoning).

With best regards,
Samson

p.s. “Inheritance” is not a concept in OWL. An OWL ontology is a collection of axioms. Different UIs show different collections of axioms.

On Feb 7, 2020, at 8:35 AM, Clarissa Feio <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Samson,

Thank you so much, I apologise if I was not clear.

In Desktop Protege, when you add a subclass, you are able to add an object restriction, as you can see below:

<3.png>

These object restrictions are 'inherited' from a class to its narrower terms. If you see the screenshot below, you have the environmental ontology. You will be able to see the class 'environmental material' and there are a couple of relationships there.

<1.png>

All the narrower terms of 'environmental material' inherit these relationships (see below).

<2.png>

If I upload this ontology into web protege, all these relationships disappear, as you can see below. Why is this?

<Screenshot 2020-02-07 at 14.34.37.png>